what do you get when you cross a....

maplesky7

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
N. IL.
pekin female and a rouen male?

Any pics of what people have gotten with crossing breeds?

And how old are they when they start laying eggs?

And will the female get broody or no...

story: I let my dd's pick ducks at the farm implement store at the end of March. Today I saw the male duck standing on top of the female. no shimmying going on though like chickens do. maybe they are practicing? They are being very protective of their area too...shooing any unwanted free range chickens from nibbling their food.

Thanks for any input.

If both are pure, in the F1 generation you should get 100% Rouen in phenotype, but split to white genotype. If you mated the F1's together, you should then get some that look like Rouens, some Whites like Pekins, and some with white lacing similar to Appleyards (which were developed from Pekins crossed with Rouens).

This cross is one that makes me seriously question that white is completely recessive. You might search hatching eggs on Ebay because there is someone that was selling some Pekin-Mallard crosses and they were beautiful. It might give you an idea of what you might come up with.

Thanks.
smile.png

I have a Pekin female and a Rouen male and here's what I got.
It's an old pic. One looks like a Rouen female and the other is black and white. They were a few months old then.

2639460490_335182e28b_o.jpg

Last edited:
Oh that's neat. Thanks for posting.

So did your mama take care of them or did you put them in an incubator?

I pull the eggs when they first started to crack and had a bin step up in our kitchen with a heat lap and damp towels. We don't have incubator, I would have too many ducks and chickens then.
big_smile.png

I will try to get new pics this week-end.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom