What do you have for your rooster flock?

HENS-and-MARES

Crowing
Apr 6, 2020
Where it snows.
Anyone have any rooster flocks? If so what is your set up, what do you use for their entertainment? How big for how many roosters? Best coop designs?
I have a rooster flock of 4 (probably will add more over time) and hope to move all of my roosters and loud geese to the hill in front of my house (my poor neighbors have to listen to 5 crowing roosters, and 4 of the loudest geese alive) so that no one has to hear with the sound as much.
The problem is, we don’t have any coop over there, or run. We don’t have the most ideal run for our roosters currently, and I would like to free range them with my geese in the summer, fall, and late spring. What is the best set up for a rooster flock? We are going to build a little shed for my geese.
it is a steep hill, the best building space being the border of the woods and hill.

Here’s the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/rooster-flocks.72998/.
Free ranging is great for rooster flocks. For mine, it provided enough entertainment, and I didn’t need a run either. However, you can add sight barriers, extra perches, toys that involve food (like flock blocks), and some people even put old shoes/stuffed animals for them to mount :lol:. Some of mine enjoyed clucking in nesting boxes, but it wasn’t something all my roosters did. I’m not sure on the exact size, but bigger is always better.

Here’s the article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/rooster-flocks.72998/.
Free ranging is great for rooster flocks. For mine, it provided enough entertainment, and I didn’t need a run either. However, you can add sight barriers, extra perches, toys that involve food (like flock blocks), and some people even put old shoes/stuffed animals for them to mount :lol:. Some of mine enjoyed clucking in nesting boxes, but it wasn’t something all my roosters did. I’m not sure on the exact size, but bigger is always better.
Thanks!
It is a great article btw.

Some of my roosters are very young so I don't keep them separate.
My 2 oldest are not breeding yet...here is a hen trying to get attention. From Blue. Blue is 6 months old.
4r.PNG

And the same hen walking away, realizing the rooster is an idiot.
4t.PNG

"You don't know a good thing when it is right in front of your face!"

Dizzy is a BO he is silly, but he is not able to focus, so he will not breed. but he is sweet.
4pa.PNG

EE "Casper" he is about 5 months old. Not a keeper but I hope to breed with black frizzles.
4q.PNG

Some are younger than these, They may be the keepers.
Of the ones hatched at X-mas
one is a blue/barred cochin mix, clean feet. I really like him. friendly.
one is a white Silky mix
one is an AC mix.

Back
Top Bottom