What do you have in your flock?

Pics
I really love this thread! I'm not sure why, but seeing what everyone's flock make-up is fascinates me for some reason.

I have all bantams, at the moment, but we just got property with acreage, and are in the process of converting some of the outbuildings to coops. I plan on having a second flock of big chickens come spring! In the meantime, here are my banties:

Silkies
- White bearded roo
- White bearded hen
- Buff non-bearded cockerel
- White non-bearded cockerel
- Buff bearded pullet
- Buff non-bearded pullet

Cochins
- Buff roo
- Black frizzle hen
- Red partridge hen
- Silver laced cockerel
- Partridge pullet (?)
- Partridge cockerel (?)
- Black cockerel (?)
- Black frizzle pullet

D'Uccles
- White cockerel
- Porcelain pullet

Others
- Mottled Japanese bantam roo
- Cross breed- half silkie, half cochin roo. Not quite sure what category his coloring falls into- brassyback or birchen, maybe. Either way, he's a pretty thing, and an excellent roo.

I've had several turn overs of the 3 chickens I'm allowed as a city dweller. This is my final answer.
One RIR Gretta van So stern, Easter Egger Sadie hawk,

and now Whitie Bulger (not sure what kind she is).

Hope they are ALL girls.

We went through 13 chickens to get down to the 4 we have now - some died as chicks or juveniles, others turned out roos and had to be re-homed, and others were re-homed because they were dual purpose bullies. Our Silkies and Blue Wheaten Ameraucana were too gentle-natured for the bully laying breeds like Marans and Leghorns. I don't keep the popular layers like RIR, BR, Orps, Legs, Wyans, etc because these breeds although they seem calm are too heavy and turn into bullies toward my gentles. Since getting rid of the heavier breeds there's been peace in our flock. We recently added a Breda pullet that won't get much over 4.5 lbs and is considered a gentle breed. If I had known EEs were gentle compared to feisty dual purpose birds I would've had an all-EE flock that would've produced a rainbow of egg colors without having to go through several other breeds. As it is I have a couple Silkie hens at 2 lbs so I can't have over-5-lb egg layers in our flock otherwise the Silkies get the short end of the stick in flock politics and Ameraucanas and EEs are too timid to stand up for themselves and would rather run than defend themselves. Our Amer (my avatar photo) is so kind to the Silkies she's the only LF we kept out of all our egg layers. EEs (and Amer's moreso) are very kind to flockmates in spite of their wary alert jittery personalities - their alertness make them good flock sentinels.

What is a Bulgar White? My folks had Babcocks years ago but Bulgar White is a new name to me.

A couple of weeks ago i posted about my flock with 3 dutch bantam mama's and their chicks. Now they have all grown and the young roosters had to go. Happily I found a chicken lover who had no problem with 3 more roosters and he put them with a group of pullets, all white hybrids for laying production.
We were able to find homes for our roos but we were picky that they went to homes that wouldn't make them into dinner meals! It's a shame to re-home roos because our boys were always sweeter and prettier than the hens.

Too cute. Whitie Bulger is the name of a mafia dude... my husband called her that one day and it stuck. I tried other names but kept going back to Whitie Bulger. My EE "Sadie Hawk" is younger than than the RIR. They both got along pretty good. Lately the EE has been challenging my RIR for any treats. the RIR backs down. Must be the hawkish eyes.

Too cute. Whitie Bulger is the name of a mafia dude... my husband called her that one day and it stuck. I tried other names but kept going back to Whitie Bulger. My EE "Sadie Hawk" is younger than than the RIR. They both got along pretty good. Lately the EE has been challenging my RIR for any treats. the RIR backs down. Must be the hawkish eyes.

White Bulgar - now I got it! Haha! Watch out for your white girl. We had a gentle White Leghorn who was a humane alpha flock leader until her 3rd year when she got aggressive toward her flockmates. We gave her a couple weeks to settle down but she was obnoxious so we re-homed her before any injuries occurred. Sad - she was really a good leader until she got older - but she's doing well in her new home and continues to be an alpha hen. For a White Leghorn she was actually pretty calm and kind for 3 years. We had a Buff Leghorn that went ballistic at only one year old and she was very harmful so we re-homed her too. No more Legs or heavier dual purpose breeds for us while we have Silkies and the gentle Ameraucana. Hope our new Breda pullet is as gentle as they say - so far so good
fl.gif
We are zoned for only 5 hens so it's imperative our little flock gets along with each other.

I currently have the following

Buff Orpington
Lavender Orpington
Black Australorps
Lots of Leghorn Varieties like Danish, Silver, and ISA
Barred Plymouth Rocks
Rhode Island Reds
Nankin Bantam
Cochins
Easter Eggars
and many more!

Most of mine are in my signature!

We are city dwellers and can only have 3 chickens (I'll have four eventually). Our turn overs are the result of one death (just killed over), two murders (possums-one dead one relocated), one re-homed because it was a roo (no rooster allowed in the city). My girls get to free range while I am outside. We have a hawk in the neighborhood. He/she has taken down several doves.

Back
Top Bottom