What do you keep Quail for??

So, they lay well? And they are big enough for meat? In all of the pics that I saw they looked small! But, boy, were they ever cute!

Well it all depends on what kind. There is not just quail, there are different types... Some weigh over a pound and lay great while others are small and don't lay good...

Quote:
Now Randall, Be'in a proper southern boy, you know you must have yeast rolls with any meal that includes mashed tators and gravy.... A big ol roll is all that keeps the gravy off your thumb...
big_smile.png

I know its taboo to say "must", but there has to be exceptions to any rule...right is right.

ETA, darn that A.D.D....

Cathead Biscuits, my friend..........Cathead Biscuits
wink.png

NOW THATS A SOUTHERN ANSWER...
thumbsup.gif

SORRY BILL BUT THEM YEAST ROLLS ARE A MIDWESTERNER THING....

I keep quail now after years of keeping other types of poultry (indian runner ducks for training herding border collies, chickens of dual purpose and show quality, geese, guinea).

On a rare visit to Europe (we will forever be in debt for that)... a big fat Italian (golden colored) Coturnix Quail hen walked up to and sat in my 5 yr old's lap in the middle of a small village market. I was so impressed with the beauty and nature of the bird, I read up on them. I found out that the quail egg is considered a "super food" amongst foodies and natural or organic consumers. The meat is considered a delicacy and is served in only the finest resturants where I live.

That was that. Super food eggs, delicous meat, easy to keep, "tame-able", and beautiful, coming in different colors and sizes. I am now finding that if I keep enough hens I can sell the natural markets these super food eggs, and so here goes the passion even futher.

I also like the BYC Quail folks. It is never a dull moment around here.

Tonya

Back
Top Bottom