What do you know now that you wish you had known then?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
I am teaching a class of college seniors next semester. I would like cover some "get ready for life" kind of things as we go through the semester. Here's where I need your help. What things do you know now (as a... ahem... mature adult) that you wish you had known or understood as a 20-something year old? It can be anything from financial advice to personal to professional. What would you tell this generation as they get ready to enter the workforce?

Life is way to short to be too serious. Take time to listen to people. Take time to help people. Nothing is as important as God and family, especially not work.

Credit cards are evil...............do I need to say more?
hmm.png

Oh and financial-save, save, save. Don't borrow. Pay cash. Give often. Material things are truly worthless. Clothes go out of style. Things have to be dusted and moved and admired. Oh how silly I was. People are so much more important.

What you want at 20 is rarely what you need at 30. What you need at 30 rarely resembles what you want at 40. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Like all teens, thought I knew it all
roll.png
. . . . but I am constantly learning! And it can be from someone younger or older ..... someone with less education, but more life experience ..... it can be anyone! I just have to be open to listening
wink.png

The ones I learned from my grandfather are:
If you can't wear it, eat it ,or sleep in it /on it, you don't need it. Everything else is a want.

If you do not have cash to buy it out right, you should not buy it. Be it land, house, or car. (that was a real hard one, but we are glad we don't have to worry about making any payments. Things are old..but working.)

Save your money and buy the best quality offered. If you buy cheep, then you will buy often, thus spending more money in the long run.

Education is the one thing that can not be taken away by the banks or the tax man. Always keep learning.

The one my husband and I have come to agree on is: If you do not have the time and money to do it right the first time, then you will never have the time and money to correct it.

The one I believe is the most important is: ALWAYS make time for a child. The smallest things now may be a world of big later on.

Back
Top Bottom