What do you prefer and why, Crochet vs knitting?

I crochet. I would like to learn to knit....someday. I want a new scarf to go with my new jacket I got for Christmas and saw you post and thought I had better get to working on it. I have been stuck on woodburning chicken signs lately. But am heading out to get the yarn I saw yesterday in the dining room to start my scarf! Thanks.....will try and find someone that can teach a left handed person how to knit...someday.

I like knitting, it has been a long time since I have knitted something, but I decided I needed a natural fiber cap...............

So like chicken math, I have made my self 3 new caps, then found a pattern for a cowl-thought how fun then decided to design some thing similar to go with a cap, then decided to make a penguin cap for my sons gf for Christmas, then he needed one too, then the other sons, and another gf, and my bf of course and my mom too................................

Oh dear!

But, I got the girls a knitting loom so they can make their own and then I wanted to make a crocheted flower to go on the caps.

I LOVE Youtube, I have found how to do things I either never learned or a written set of instructions made no sense. And I bought a few new crochet hooks so I can make a few different flowers.

The next thing I want to learn, is to tat. My grandma in Denmark used to tat lace (not tattoos) I have her stuff and I would love to make just one small thing.

I think if you want something you can throw in a purse and do at a meeting or waiting for some one, crocheting is better. In Denmark, people would drop in for tea or coffee and suddenly all the purses were open and everyone was busy knitting something. It is a favorite memory of quiet times with my grandmother.

I hear sometimes you can only do one or the other. I knit quite well, I can knit socks, scarves, toques, dishcloths, etc... So I figured... yeah I can crochet. I attempted, an expert crocheter/knitter set out to help me. I thought she was going to strangle me quite frankly. I'm terrible at it. I can't get the hang of it! It always seems like there isn't enough of a pattern, there's nothing for me to follow. Knitting is simple for me because once I learn the stitches, I can follow the pattern more or less.

Quote:
I think I am addicted already
lol.png

ScotianChick said it before me...almost everyone I know can either knit OR crochet. I have never seen so many people that claim they can do both! Good for ya'll!
clap.gif

I taught myself how to knit (from a book). I can knit a MEAN rectangle! I made a gorgeous throw for my grandmother...I finished my first practice square and dove straight into a queen size throw! It was great. I made another throw for my DD's 3rd birthday...it took me a full year to make it. Both throws had the wave pattern. I find I have to knit in silence (no TV, distractions) ONLY because when I count the pattern off I find I am up to 20 and should have changed pattern at 6!
barnie.gif
The counting and recounting gets a bit monotonous.

I bought another book on how to learn crochet. I tried to crochet a practice square...it ended up a practice circle...sort of conicle.
hide.gif
I couldn't get the hang of it. A lady told me she would give me lessons for $35 an hour. I don't think I can afford the hours it would take to teach me.
big_smile.png

I bought 2 alpacas to supply my knitting needs. I personally like the look of crocheted items...you can do more fun designs.

Quote:
Don't give up! Finding a good teacher is key whether it be someone in person or a youtube video. My MIL has knitted for 60 years and she is my go to person when I get stumped. It's been great having her available for "knit discussions" even though she isn't the one who taught me to knit
tongue.png
. Also, just because someone is an expert in something doesn't mean they are a good teacher. IMHO, a good teacher has to be able to see the single tree within the forest and convey that difference to the student.

eta: Don't think of them as "the same kind of" crafts. They are very different even though they are both needle arts. So, put aside your "knowledge" of knitting when you are learning to crochet. When I first started knitting, I visualized putting my crocheting knowledge away in it's own folder (of my brain) and closing the folder. Then when I went to learn a new knit stitch, I "opened" my knitting folder (of my brain) and just sat for a minute thinking about the physical aspect of knitting and only knitting. I know this sounds a little weird but I have learned if I do this visualizing when learning a new "thing" it really helps me to limit confusion between similiar crafts/work etc.

(When you learned to drive a card you didn't keep comparing it to when you learned how to ride a bike even though they're both wheeled forms of transportation, right? - this is assuming you are old enough to drive a car
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Since I am still fairly new to knitting, I also need it to be quiet.

Quote:
As I mentioned in post #17 above, do some researching on youtube. I wanted to learn how to do long tail casting on so I looked it up on youtube and after watching that video about 15 times WHILE holding the needle and yarn, I finally got it! (I mean really it wasn't hard to do but I had a mental block with holding the needle and yarn the right way.
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
I can crochet. I have tried and tried and tried to knit. I cannot knit. I prefer the appearance of knitted items. If I ever have more time to invest in unravelling and starting over, I will learn to knit simply because I hate saying I can't do something.
barnie.gif

I am teaching myself to knit right now. It is amazing what you can learn by watching youtube videos!! I am attempting to make a stocking cap for my DH. We will see how that goes... I also want to try crocheting once I get the knitting down pat!!

Back
Top Bottom