What do you put in your Run?

EverythingDucks

🙄🤚 𝙻𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚕𝚎 𝙳𝚞𝚌𝚔
Premium Feather Member
May 7, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
I've been looking for some chicken run ideas but I can't seem to find any ideas for the inside. I was thinking maybe some plants (like Mexican feather grass) and some roosts but I'm new to chickens so I don't know a whole lot yet.
Feel free to share pictures and any ideas you have

You can see the coop, the feeder/waterer shelter, the anti-hawk shelter, the in-run perch, and the straw-bale wind baffles.
1201201229.jpg

1201201229b_HDR.jpg

1225201654.jpg

They dig their own dust baths, which I fill up with pine straw if they get too deep for my comfort.
1008201707a (3).jpg

1006201437h_HDR.jpg

To summarize:

Things to sit on.
Things to sit under.
Places to get away from the others.
Shelter from sun/rain/airborne predators.
Stuff to dig through in search of goodies.
Wind baffles arranged to offer protection from any angle since we can get storms from any direction.

I have a roof on my run but still have logs to jump on, a place for dirt baths, and perches.
I do have lots of trees, bushes, and perennials in my yard for when they are free ranging. This fall I just added a repurposed gazebo. I have done stick tent structures that sort of resemble a teepee with the sticks being spaced far enough apart that a chicken could get through, I have seen some creative stick structures and tunnels on Pinterest that people have made for kids and thought it would be cool for the chickens.

Some pics😊 but keep in mind I open them up to free range everyday unless it’s storming... very basic but they are happy and lay eggs: the small cage is were my rooster goes if he won’t give the girls a break or if we need to isolate a hen. The medium coop and run is were we can breed certain hens and the large is were most all the flock stays at night 🌹
FF7F983D-244B-4339-841D-6CD99C6D85C8.jpeg
BDB3C43C-776F-435E-A886-E5823336660F.jpeg
6DB992E4-32A5-4312-B4CE-F8D26EEFBDA4.jpeg
C060965A-386D-4F00-945B-BE6F8F063C8F.jpeg

38B0C32E-F46B-4903-8EA3-65E7DF7427AC.jpeg

We have several planters and a good-size dirt bath in our run. The plants that have survived have been a camelia, a night-blooming jasmine, a lavender, and a few other things. Everything except the lavender was planted as a 5-gallon, so they had a strong root system, plus then I planted every plant inside a cylinder made of chicken wire, to protect the plant & the root ball. That has worked well.

I also have strawberries in hanging baskets, which the girls eat when a shoot is long enough. There are party lights, a tree stump seat for me, and friends have helped me paint some artwork especially for the run, so it's a pretty place where I to want to spend time.

I've been looking for some chicken run ideas but I can't seem to find any ideas for the inside. I was thinking maybe some plants (like Mexican feather grass) and some roosts but I'm new to chickens so I don't know a whole lot yet.

Possible things to have in the run:
--something to scratch in. A compost pile is great, layers of wood chips and other bedding materials are fine, dirt usually becomes either mud or hard like concrete. Other options also exist.
--something to sit on. Perches, stumps, a lawn chair, a picnic table, a tree.... lots of possibilities here.
--something to sit under, like a roof or a table or a bush. Provides shelter from sun, rain, wind, and scary flying things like hawks and airplanes.
--a place to dustbathe. Might just be dry dirt under something to keep rain off.
--green plants to eat. Harder to arrange, because the chickens eat them so fast, but throwing in garden weeds and vegetable trimmings can help.
--bugs. These come all by themselves, if you have compost or bedding on the floor of the run.

If you are starting with a completely bare run, maybe dump in a truckload of wood chips, and sit an old coffee table in the middle for them to perch on and relax under.

Then you can throw in all food scraps and compostable things as you get them, and in a while the floor of the run will have turned into a compost pile with lots of earthworms and other goodies for the chickens to eat.

Their chickens, don't over think it.

Several roosts (a 2" or 3" think tree branch works great) in different locations, a good deep layer of material on the run floor to dig/scratch in, really good supply of water and food, something to sit under or have a tarp/roofing over the run to provide shelter and safety, and a few obstacles like cement blocks for them to be able to use to get away from another chicken if they've got a cricket they're all fighting for.

I have roosts, two step ladders (they love those), a couple of stumps, multiple feeders/waterers, and potted bamboo. I switch the pots out when they've picked them clean. They grow so fast, I end up rotating them out every couple of weeks. My flock also gets foraging time every day in the chicken yard.

I like the idea of hanging strawberry plants. I do hang treats for them every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom