What do you spend on food for a week?

Quote:
I highly suggest that people look into angel food ministries. Not only do you help yourself, but you help others. Once your distribution group reaches so many orders (I believe they raised it to 50) they get a free case to distribute to a family in need. I also believe they get a dollar or so back per order, to use as needed. My local group uses it to buy extra cases, again for those less fortunate. I also give them back my dozen eggs from the case to redistribute (like I need more eggs!
lol.png
tongue.png
).

Oh yeah, forgot to add for Cetawin:
smack.gif

you are so lucky! but I know you work hard for it.
smile.png

Last edited:
I checked availability in our area out of curiosity and it was not available (angel food ministries that is) Sounds great though.

We are a family of two...so far. I am a sale shopper and stocker-upper for sure. First of all we live on an island, so variety is limited, sales are seldom, and prices are higher. Prices have really gone up with increased freight charges and the already elevated food prices.

When I'm home I shop at the local grocery store for some items. I usually spend 25-60 dollars a week there. Once in a while it is much less than that. I also order groceries from the mainland. There is a woman that takes our list and a check and does our shopping. She charges around 15% of the total bill. Of course we have to pay a freight charge when we pick the groceries up from the boat dock/airport. This is handy because we have access to sale items and other items that we may not be able to get locally. I only order groceries about twice a month, sometimes less, and very rarely more. When I do this I spend 60-80 dollars plus freight. If I am stocking up on a few things it can be more.

When I'm off the island I do a ton of stocking up. This is when we buy all of our hygiene products, and items such as light bulbs, appliances (as needed), cleaning products, and other related items. We almost always go to Wal-Mart, where we spend any where from 150-300 dollars. It seems like we do that about 4 times a year but I'm trying to cut back on our trips to the mainland.

I also like to order certain items by the case through our family store. I just ordered some soup and cheeses. I'll have to order flour and sugar this way since these items were not offered at the store brand fall sale this year.

We save money a few other ways as well. My mom sends us canned veggies from her garden. We haven't started to sell our eggs yet but when we do it will pay for their feed bill and we'll get a very small monthly profit. I did trade our eggs for lots of fresh veggies this summer. My husband hunts quite a bit and if he's in the mood for it he eats a lot of rabbits and venison. If he isn't hungry for the wild game his parents and siblings get most of it. Nothing goes to waste.

My next money saving adventure is to order all of our animal feed from a company on the mainland that will deliver the feed to my FIL's dock on the mainland. That way it can be brought to island on his boat and we don't have to pay freight. There will be a delivery charge but if I order enough feed it will save me a ton in the end. I still have to figure out how many bags of feed I'll need to get us through the winter.

WOW, this is long...SORRY!

Quote:
Big ((((Huggs)))) I can so relate. DH got laid off April 1st...he finally found a job at the end of August. If we had not had all our bills paid off and the rent house to make our house note I really don't know how we would have survived on the $378.00 a week he got for unemployment.

I'll say a prayer.

Quote:
smack.gif

Sorry. hehehehe My sister hates me too. She looks at a cheesecake and gains 5 lbs. I eat the whole cheesecake and lose 1/2 lb.
gig.gif

I spend about $150 a week for a family of 7 and 1 cat and 1 dog. That includes everything, diapers, paper products, cleaning supplies ect.

I use coupons alot! My local grocery store also has store coupons you can use with the manufacture coupons and I can end up getting things very cheap. I only shop the 1 store because after gas $$ and what not it doesn't pay to run to different stores.

Quote:
My church just became a distributor this month, so I'll be trying my first box in a few weeks. I'm guessing it'll be a bit of a wash for me, but perhaps that's OK. There are several things that we don't eat that are supplied (like Hawaiian Punch) that will probably be donated elsewhere.

While I've not been involved in the planning portion of this ministry at our church, I know people who are involved. It appears that Angel Food does a great job training the distributors, and it doesn't look like it takes an enormous amount of volunteer time since it only distributes once a month. Perhaps some of you who don't have an Angel Food program in your area can recruit a local church to take it on.

Back
Top Bottom