What do you think about Omlet coops?

I bought an omlet cube this summer for 6 of my hens. So far it has worked great. They are golden comets, so medium sized chickens, and they have enough roosting space. I wouldn't put more than 6 medium sized chicken in the cube. I've checked the ventilation, and I haven't felt any dampness so far. I move it every day over our pasture and it has held up well. The construction took about 5 hours with two other people helping.
I received two different direction booklets, so that was a bit confusing. The hardest part was attaching the run part of the cube, the booklet did not show very clearly how it should be done. The coop part was fairly easy.

The assembly is actually quite easy. I did all 4 of mine myself, and I built the 24'L x 9'W x 6'H (also Omlet) run by myself as well.

No, not really? The marketing of the omlet coop was pretty good though…
The quick glance at their website looks like a joke to me.
I think you could probably get away with putting two chickens in one of those little things but for that price you could build your own way bigger.

No, not really? The marketing of the omlet coop was pretty good though…
It is the best designed prefab coop/tractor that I found. I think the two best things about the omlet cube is that it can be rolled to a new spot of pasture and it is very easy to clean. It is pricey, but I did not have the time to build a coop when I bought it. From now on I will build/have someone build a coop for my flock. With my growing flock, buying prefab coops would be quite expensive

Have you checked around locally or know anyone who does woodworking/construction? For the price of an omlet coop you could probably find someone local to build something much nicer. I know around here there is always someone selling chicken coops for the similar prices that look much nicer than an omlet coop. My husband and I both enjoy building things together so we have always built our own coops, pens and well pretty much everything.

I think it just depends on individual preference. Personally, wood is too high maintenance for me, plus the mite factor. As far as prefabs go, these are top notch. To me, they are like the Tardis. They look small but actually have a ton of space. My birds have 4 coops and only use 2. They pile in and lay down next to each other and have room to spare - and they usually aren't in the nesting box area either.

To HollowofWisps point, if you don't mind the upkeep of wood and are either handy or know someone, you can make some beautiful coops. And yes, Omlets aren't cheap - but at least where I am the price of lumber is insane right now, so for me the Omlets didn't cost much more and have the low maintenance factor. Some people can't stand the look of plastic - wood is certainly more appealing visually. Again, a matter of preference. Functionally, Omlets do the job.

Prefab coops are nearly always much to small for the number of birds they say it can fit. Remember these guide lines when thinking about purchasing one, the number of birds you plan to have and space for expanding your flock in the future if chicken math takes hold.

The minimum guide lines per chicken are:
. 4 square feet in the coop
. 10 square feet in the run
. 12 inches of roosting space per bird
. 1 square foot of ventilation every day

Remember these are the absolute minimums. The more space they have, the more productive and happier they will be.

Last edited:
I think it just depends on individual preference. Personally, wood is too high maintenance for me, plus the mite factor. As far as prefabs go, these are top notch. To me, they are like the Tardis. They look small but actually have a ton of space. My birds have 4 coops and only use 2. They pile in and lay down next to each other and have room to spare - and they usually aren't in the nesting box area either.
This. If you don’t get the Autodoor you can just hose it out.

Back
Top Bottom