What do you think might have happened here?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Millerhenhouse, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Millerhenhouse

Millerhenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Just wanting your thoughts on how you think she got her feathers yanked out like this, in this localized pattern. Did one of the other hens do this, is this a strange molt pattern, or something else? Basically just wondering if I should be concerned about her and whether anything needs to be done with this spot. It doesn't appear to be bloody at all--just bald.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of all of her, to get some perspective. She's not lost feathers anywhere else.

[​IMG]

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Coon might have tried to get her? [​IMG]

3. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    Quote:x2

This looks to me like something grabbed a hand or mouthful of her feathers & she pulled away. From what I've seen of chicken feather pulling, it's usually red and/or bloody when the flock gets to them.

4. kgdubois

kgdubois Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    West Texas
    Quote:x2

This looks to me like something grabbed a hand or mouthful of her feathers & she pulled away. From what I've seen of chicken feather pulling, it's usually red and/or bloody when the flock gets to them.

5. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Is she molting?
    I have a Jersey Giant that looked normal until I picked her up and all the feathers on her tummy was gone. I noticed there were a few quills starting to come back in. I'm glad to report that her tummy is now all feathered back.

If not, you might want to walk around and see were the feathers might have gone. I've never heard of a predator taking the feathers with them. At least it will tell you where she was attacked at.

6. Millerhenhouse

Millerhenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Well, we have 14 chickens and four of them are molting, so there are feathers all over the place, really. There is truly no evidence of any "fowl-play" anywhere in the chicken yard or coop. I have no idea what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by