What Do You Think Of Barred Plymouth Rocks?

I have one barred rock hen and I love her. She does seem to be the dominant hen, but is not extremely aggressive. She lays six eggs a week on average and they are nice large eggs. She is also the one who follows me around, talking the whole time. I think you would enjoy this breed, I really do!
thumbsup.gif

We originally purchased two barred rocks, but one ended up a rooster and went to a new home. We have several breeds of chickens, and I have to say that "Annie" is one of my favorites, right along with my Golden Comets and RIRs. She was one of the first to lay and lays an egg just about every day. BR's have a beautiful color scheme and their bright red comb really stands out. "Annie" is calm and minds her business - although she gets rather noisy when she lays an egg.
smile.png

Stacie

I have a BR roo and hen. I had 2 of each, but sold a roo/hen combo last month. I love these birds, the roo is sweet, and the hen is my fave of all my chooks.
Here's pics of my two. My roo(Mylo) is friendlier than some of my other hens.
90662_barbie.jpg

90662_myloagain.jpg

Last edited:
I was told when I purchased these pullets (4 of them) that they were Dominiques. After getting them home, a nieghbor said I had Barred Rocks. How can you tell the difference between the two and from these pics, can anyone tell me what I have?

106441_fencing.jpg

106441_dominique.jpg

106441_dominiques.jpg

Quote:
Barred Rocks have a single comb. Doms have a rose or pea comb, I don't remember exactly which. Rocks have a more uniform barring, but that would be hard to determine IMO unless you had one of each side by side for comparison. I myself can't see what kind of comb yours have.

Last edited:
Quote:
Barred Rocks have a single comb. Doms have a rose or pea comb, I don't remember exactly which. Rocks have a more uniform barring, but that would be hard to determine IMO unless you had one of each side by side for comparison. I myself can't see what kind of comb yours have.

Those look to be Doms. Very hard to see the combs in those pictures but it's just too small to be a single, suspect a rose comb and your birds have a cuckoo pattern not barred. More white and black rather than black with fine silver barring for pullets.

When I first ordered chicks, I went the "I'll take one of each" route. We only have one BR hen, but she is my DH's favorite. He rescued her when she got stuck in the holes of some concrete blocks (had them in the coop to raise up the water and feed and never thought about a chicken trying to use the holes for a place to lay eggs). She is sweet, quiet, gets along with the other hens, and is a good layer. I would definitely recommend one or more BRs in your flock.

I love my Barred Rock. I originally had two, but one of them would insist on being a boy so off he went to live in the country. My BR seems to be the top hen in my flock of 3, but she is very sweet. She was actually the last to start laying, the other 2 are Red Stars, and her eggs are still smaller than the others, but I have hopes they will improve.

Do a search for The Adventures of Barbara. I got a barred rock just because of that. Barbarella, Queen of the Coop, is our girl. She's Buffy's understudy - Buffy is the broody who raised her.

Back
Top Bottom