1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you think of this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by accoladryn, Apr 21, 2016.

1. accoladryn

accoladryn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Hey everyone!

So i'm looking for my first coop... i have 4 chicks right now and will probably end up with closer to 6-8 total when all is said and done. For price, and functionality, what do y'all think of this one?

https://houston.craigslist.org/for/5524361579.html

i'm not set up to free range/forage right now, though we have a couple acres. Eventually i would like to be but we would have to do some work on the fence line around the property first (we live near a busy road).

So for now they would be on grain primarily. And we were thinking of building maybe a light-weight run that be added onto this one.

I am also able to build something myself, but for the price it seemed like i'd probably pay close to this in lumber and material, what do y'all think? I wanted a coop that has two ramps on either side so if we can figure out a good rotation system we can ultimately switch sides to give the other side time to "recover".

How do people do with just runs and chickens? it seems like it would get to a muddy point where it couldn't come back... what do you do at that point to keep it from just getting worse and worse?

thanks in advance!

adryan

2. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    It looks good. I think your chicks will love it! [​IMG]

3. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    I think the roosts are too low in elation to the nesting boxes. I think the roof will leak. I think they have either made a typo on their run dimensions, or what they are selling isn't what is pictured.

the coop size would hold possibly 5 full size hens, but the run, wouldn't even hold two. I'm strongly suspect of the treated pine they claim.

here are my additional thoughts.....if you are handy, it may not be a bad place to start, especially at the price listed.

But I'd be prepared to make some modifications:
    You will absolutely need more run space.
    I would raise the pop door and the roosts.
    I would raise the poop pan. This would allow additional run space under the roosts.
    I would address the roof issue, by sealing the seam, and never opening it up.
    The nesting box is too big for so few birds, and there isn't a divider, I'd consider making it two nesting boxes with divider.

that was just my first impression, I'm sure some other knowledgeable folks will chime in.

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    My honest opinion? Cheaply made and will not stand up to harsh weather or predators nor will it hold the number of birds they claim it will. You'd be better off looking for a large doghouse, playhouse or small shed (some folks do offer sheds for free off CL) and converting it into something much more safe and less likely to fall apart within the year. Lots of great coop ideas (that won't break the bank) on this site under the coops tab. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  5. BleuSaphir

BleuSaphir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2012
    If you can meet this seller in person, bring a measuring tape to see it it accurate. If not, walk away. [​IMG]

If you like the hen house, I would modify the roost. And make your own run. Both sides for run area look small.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's going to need more ventilation. And the latches are too simple. A raccoon will get in there eventually.

7. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I think if you can build one yourself, you'd be better off. For the money they want for that set-up, you can make yourself a nice coop that actually will hold 8 chickens. That one is too small for 6 or 7 birds. The ad says it can hold 6 to 7 chickens, but it's been my experience that if I cut in half the number of chickens it allegedly can hold, I get a more accurate number.

8. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I think that coop and run are way too small for what you need. Each chicken should have 4 square feet of inside coop space. For 8 birds that is 32 square feet or an 8 by 4 coop. If you plan on keeping the food and water inside the coop then the area those things take up needs to be subtracted from the 32 square feet you need. Each chicken should have about 10 square feet of run space which for 8 birds is 80 square feet. That coop gives you nowhere near that space. If you don't give the birds room you'll have problems. Some birds might bully others. There could be feather picking. Then as others have pointed out, it needs a lot more ventilation and better latches just to start to make it a usable coop.

My run did turn into muck this winter. It was my first year with this new coop so ran into a couple glitches that have to be solved. For a temporary fix the house sitter put pine shavings in the run. This summer I plan on adding 4-6 inches of sand to raise up the run so it will drain better.

9. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by