What do you think of Tractor Supply’s new chick bins?

Pics
I'm guessing it's because the shipping would be really expensive, and my local TSC probably wouldn't want to pay that much for chicks + shipping.
( But then again, I'm no expert )

They don't have chick bins in my TSC yet.:hit
they may never do it out here since shipping is such a sweat in Hawaii.
Does anyone know if they will have the chick bins in locations like mine?
It's totally fine if no one knows, but I figured it would be worth asking!
I don’t think anyone would know the answer to this, but yes, it’s always worth asking.
I'm guessing it's because the shipping would be really expensive, and my local TSC probably wouldn't want to pay that much for chicks + shipping.
( But then again, I'm no expert )
Are there no hatcheries in Hawaii? I know TSC uses different hatcheries in different parts of the country. I would imagine they would use Hawaiian hatcheries, if there were any.

I was just there this morning and saw them for the first time. According to one of the employees, in the old days, they used to put the chicks in stock tanks in the back room and keep them there for 24 hours so they would acclimate. Now they take them and immediately put them in these brooders. Plus they suspect some shipping issues that stress the chicks further.
I was at my local TSC on Saturday and they had two new printed off signs on the brooder stacks. One was an explanation of the new brooder system and the other was telling that all new shipments of chicks are being held for 24 hours in the back in stock tanks to help them get over shipping stress before being put out on the floor for sale.

That is a departure from past years, and even the first shipment this year, because I will generally call to ask what kinds they have, and if they just got their shipment they will tell me to give them about an hour to get around to unpacking them and then I can buy them. This year (the first post in this thread) I asked when Chick Days had started, and the employee said they got the chicks literally an hour before. I think the new signs are in response to feedback they have been getting about the new stacks, and the new policy to hold chicks for 24 hours is to reduce how many die in their new homes. It does look like management cares.

I was at my local TSC on Saturday and they had two new printed off signs on the brooder stacks. One was an explanation of the new brooder system and the other was telling that all new shipments of chicks are being held for 24 hours in the back in stock tanks to help them get over shipping stress before being put out on the floor for sale.

That is a departure from past years, and even the first shipment this year, because I will generally call to ask what kinds they have, and if they just got their shipment they will tell me to give them about an hour to get around to unpacking them and then I can buy them. This year (the first post in this thread) I asked when Chick Days had started, and the employee said they got the chicks literally an hour before. I think the new signs are in response to feedback they have been getting about the new stacks, and the new policy to hold chicks for 24 hours is to reduce how many die in their new homes. It does look like management cares.
My TSC always held the chicks in back for a bit. It might not always be a full 24 hours but they would watch for signs of stress. They would also tell me what breeds they got in if I asked and would sell to me from the back tanks so...

I've bought chicks before from the co-op that literally came straight out the post office shipping box, traveled 30 mins back to home, started up my brooder (wasn't hot yet), food and water wasn't ready yet, and didn't loose any.

Sounds like they want to see how many dies before selling them and are seeing if it is a fault on their end (new brooders) or shipping end (shipping problems).

:celebrateI’ve been checking the TSC website randomly to find one of these brooders, and today it was available to buy!! https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-metal-brooder-with-heater-cc-brooder4
4CD2F15C-7BD9-467B-8B9C-8CACFDA516BF.png

Now just hoping my order ships like it should.

Now just hoping my order ships like it should.
Well boo hoo! They sent an email cancelling my order. ☹️ Very frustrating. If it’s not in stock, their website ought to not allow the transaction. Goodness knows there were other times I was looking at this item and the “add to cart” button disappeared and was replaced with “this item not available”. They got my hopes up, allowing the transaction to go through.

Oh well, if it’s meant to be, I’ll get one sooner or later. I wouldn’t be surprised if they raise the price next year.

I noticed the new bins too...

But my problem with TSC is still the same...most that are working there have no idea what they have. There is no guarantee that what you are buying is what you will actually get. They are just sales people moving product. They can miss label, miss place, mix up, whatever. Not intentional but they have no clue what they are looking at.

If you don't care as long as it lays eggs then fine.

I always go to the local feed store first. Prices are just about the same and the ladies that work there are the same every day, every week, every year. They are not chain store employees constantly flipping over. They know their birds and know what exactly they are giving the customer. Better variety too. I want specific breeds since mine are as much for backyard decoration as for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom