What do you think of Tractor Supply’s new chick bins?

Pics
I saw them at our local TSC, and while they look cool, I'm not too sure how safe or efficient they are. The big chicks (brahmas) were all huddled as close to the brooder as they could be(but they could have just been added recently- no idea). That can be debatable, but the thing that wasn't, is that in the short span of me looking at the chicks for 5 minutes 3 of them escaped and got stuck in the feeding troughs. I picked them all out to give to an employee to put back, but I imagine it happens a LOT and that it's going to get annoying quick, lol. Wasn't just the banties either, but the bigger chicks as well.
The feeder troughs have an adjuster so allow or not allow head in it. So all the employees need to do it adjust it

for a metal box it is still pricy. It looks amazing but my cheap polystyrene fish box does the job. Then I move on to a £6 110liter storage box that is housed inside a bigger polystyrene box. I do like the water tray system, mine keep knocking mine over
Not worth forking out £200 unless you want to show off your chicks for 12 hours a day like a store. The heat loss in those will be quite big. So 4 units as in picture would cost $800 + $200 heating cost. An insulated brooder would reduce the cost by half and only costs a few dollars to make. IMG_0237.JPG

Last edited:
for a metal box it is still pricy. It looks amazing but my cheap polystyrene fish box does the job. Then I move on to a £6 110liter storage box that is housed inside a bigger polystyrene box. I do like the water tray system, mine keep knocking mine over
Not worth forking out £200 unless you want to show off your chicks for 12 hours a day like a store. The heat loss in those will be quite big. So 4 units as in picture would cost $800 + $200 heating cost. An insulated brooder would reduce the cost by half and only costs a few dollars to make.
The heat isn't lost. Those type of heaters have a type if heat that only radiates directly below so they go in or out depending on if they need to warm up

Back
Top Bottom