What do you think the verdict should be?

Has he spoken to you about it? Literally spoken to you or has the only communication been via email? I couldn't imagine NOT speaking to my professor about an exam. There is no way that I would ever send an email requesting to take it on another day then MISS the exam without confirmation! That is what gets me here is that he didn't even know if you accepted what he sent and yet still did NOT show up for the exam. Seems to me like he truly just didn't care. I mean, how could you truly care and yet still not know if you were going to be able to take the exam another day??

I vote with boykin 2010. One never knows what troubles this kid is dealing with ( maybe none but no way of knowing). And I say "kid" cuz I have one who is that age....very responsible and gets her work in on time but I still think of her and her friends as kids.

Im sorry to say this ...as I know how it feels to be a college student but my vote is fail. He cant just choose to take more time to prepare at the last minute. That is not fair to the other students who spent the time to prepare. You gave him plenty of notice and offered an alternative for more time. He needs to learn responsibility. A future employer probably wont give him the chance you have!

Sounds like he is really sloughing off, and he probably deserves a FAIL, but I would be tempted to give him a H*LLACIOUS project that would take all of semester break. This from an older guy who graduated from college 46 years ago. (Didn't have my act together then, but never pulled that kind of stuff.)

FAIL! College is supposed to be about preparing for the adult working world, right? Well, how many bosses would bend over backwards for an employer who didn't turn in a work assignment on time?

Sometimes the hardest lessons are the best learned...

Last edited by a moderator:
Big nasty project. Not putting the blame on you by any means, but you stated you dont know if you gave them a deadline to notify you. So technically, this student did notify you that he needed more time, just not in a timely manner. Also, what kind of student is this kid? Does he always do stuff like this or is he usually a good student? If he is usually a slacker, then maybe I would fail him. But if this seems out of character, then I would give him another chance and at least give him the option of a project.

Since you didn't specify a cut off date for "more time" requests (sic demands) then you can't put all the blame on a student... 99% yes, but not all of it.

That said, I would vote for an alternate assignment... perhaps a paper or some such? That this student can EMAIL you and you can read at home... and then post his grade and that's that. No 3 hour trip for you, no fail for him.

But I don't know this student... if he's been a goob, skipping class, not turning in (good) work all semester, then I'd flunk his butt... and then stress and hope if he whined that your boss stands behind you... I do tend to get a little riled... and have regretted it. Hence what the paranoid in me suggested above.

Good Luck and
hugs.gif
for a teacher who cares... and a great big
smack.gif
for that little... ahem.

Here is his answer to my you really screwed up tell me what you were thinking when this seemed like a good idea message;

I apologize for it being so sudden, I just had been studying for a while and thought that I had a decision whether I wanted to take it or not on today's date. I feel it is a big grade for me and it will effect my overall grade a big deal, so the more time to prepare and the more time to take the test would be a big help. Once again, I am sorry for the inconvenience for you, but I was planning on taking the exam up until I sent the e-mail. It was a big decision for me whether I wanted to get it out of the way or create more time for myself to do better. I barely got any sleep last night finishing my comp. portfolio and than moving on to study for this exam. I did not come up to you in class because I thought I was fine taking it today, but I realized it would be better if I did not. I am very sorry, and if you allow me to make it up I will be very grateful, and you will be my knew favorite person.

Sorry again,

He didn't plan his time well...... a failure to plan on your part does not create an emergency on mine. Still ugh. Thoughts?​

I hate it when people do stuff like that. Being a good person you don't want to screw up their grade average in your case, but you shouldn't have to put out so much effort to accommodate them. I run into the same stuff in my job. End up having to go way out of my way to offer great customer service.

You should probably do what you need to. You know how important a GPA is. It will effect the student badly to get an F. You're not talking about 8th grade or something. I know from reading your postings that you are an empathetic person. I have a feeling you will make the 3 hour round trip.

Back
Top Bottom