What do you think? **update**

BUG126

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
WA State
We live in the Pacific Northwest, NW corner of WA state to be exact. We have lost 4 chickens in the past 2 weeks. The only thing left is a few feathers, if that. The first time I didnt notice until the next day (no feathers left behind), the 2nd time our mini doxie was in his outside kennel & witnessed it, but never made a sound, dumb dog!! I stopped letting the chickens out to free range for a while. I let them out Wednesday when I got home from work. I was inside cleaning the bathroom and lost track of time, around 8pm (same time every attack has been) I hear a commotion outside, I looked out the window only to see 28 hens in panic mode & our roo hiding in the run (lot of good he is). I was trying to see past the row of trees and in the process saw a quick flash of yellow race across the yard. The creature was too fast, and the trees were blocking so I couldnt see WHAT it was, but I thought it had one of our Buff Orpingtons. I went running outside like a crazy lady to save my chickens, but both our BO's were out there and the trail of feathers were from a barred rock. Now I am totally stumped. Whatever it was came out of the corn field, grabbed a hen, and ran back into the corn field. The dirt is too hard packed to leave tracks, trust me, I checked! I know there is at least one cougar that lives around the quarry just a mile down the road, but I really dont want to believe thats what has been visiting, being that we have 3 small children. The more I think about it, the more I think it might be a possibility. It was the wrong color for a coyote, its attacks dont fit the "profile" of a dog attack. I am stumped! Nothing has been coming back at night and trying to get through the run fence or into the coop. I told hubby that I am letting the chickens out tonight and him & his rifle get to hide on the back porch and wait. He is not so thrilled about it!
lol.png
What do you guys think, would a cougar come and pick of chickens one at a time? Around the same time every evening?

Last edited:
Yes, a cougar will do that. They will pick up little kids, too. I visited that game farm in Sequim when my oldest was about 2 years old. She was with me on the path and I noticed a cougar was stalking her (low to the ground, ears flattened, tip of the tail twitching) from its enclosure about 6 feet away from the path. You've heard the expression, "My blood ran cold", it's true!

If it is going into the same spot in the corn field you can sprinkle flour around and maybe get a print in the flour. Just in case your steak out doesn't work.

And everything likes chicken dinner.

Good luck.

Have you looked at the sticky at the to of the predator and pest forum, about identifying predators?

Quote:
yes I did, but it wasnt much help. We still dont know what is after our chickens, but 2 more disappeared yesterday, within the time it took me to run inside & help my son in the bathroom & get back out to the yard. We spread sand around the outside of the coop & run lastnight hoping to see tracks this morning, but NOTHING, whatever it is doesnt come back during the night. The girls are on lock down! We mowed all the tall grass around the barns, but obviously we cant mow down the cornfield.

That is just CREEPY. Since you are describing seeing just a flash of yellow, and there is a known cougar less than a mile down the road from you, I think that is what you are dealing with. Try putting down flour (like others suggested) so you can see what tracks are made. For the sake of your kids I pray that you are not dealing with a cougar and we are wrong, but if it is, I hope something can be done about it. Is it legal to kill cougars your way or do you need to get ahold of some authorities?

Best wishes!
hugs.gif

My bet's on the cougar, too.

Also wanted to stress how important it is to get your chickens in well before dusk. Eight pm sounds too late for me-- prime predator hours! I know they're in lock down at the moment, but when and if you do start letting them free range again, I would suggest getting them in much earlier. Good luck to you!

If it was running it will leave tracks unless on concrete. The claws will leave distinct markings but will be hard to see. Once you spot them measure the stride. That will be a good indicator on what you are dealing with. If there are fences look for hair scraped off where it went through it.

When we got home lastnight hubby went out with his maglite and saw some eyes in the corn field. It was about 11:30, so it was really dark. Couldnt get a good look, but it is either a bobcat or a small cougar. He took a shot at it, but missed since he couldnt really see it. I am charging his spot light today and we will go back out tonight & look for it some more. And yes, it is legal to shoot cougars in our area without a permit, if they are after your lifestock
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom