What % do you tip when you eat out??

My take on tipping is simple. If you don't have the 20% tip then stay home. It's really part of the cost of eating in a restaurant, not the price on the menu. In most other countries, servers are paid a decent hourly wage and no tips are required. I always felt I got excellent service under that system too. This whole tipping culture here is a racket to underpay alot of hard working people, that's my opinion.
hmm.png

20% for good service and attitude. Bad attitude gets you nothing but a comment to the manager. (Have only had to do that twice, and the manager's reply was yes, we know he/she's a problem?) My wife waited tables, and both of our children did also. I know what a tough job it is. Around here no wait staff get anywhere near $10/hr. Side note. My wife always said the best tips came from the most unlikely sources. A couple of older ladies in threadbare but clean clothing frequently tipped better than "suits." She worked across the street from a courthouse, and the restaurant was frequented by lawyers. She got fired for mouthing off to one of them who made a pass at her. (By the boss's wife.) Got hired back on her terms by the boss the very next day. (After he suggested that the guy find another place to have lunch.)
lol.png

Last edited:
20% on top of tax. Just easier to calculate. I might just be easy-going, but I can't think of any time I've had service bad enough not to tip. I rarely eat out though.

Yep, some people just don't get it! My son waits tables and he told me last night that he had a 13 top and his tip was $11. That's awful! I feel for you guys, I use to wait tables, too!

Quote:
Give above and beyond service and nobody has to worry about poor tipping.

You wanted to hear it.....what is your state min wage is it really $2 and something. Here in Washington it is $8.65 no matter what job you have. Maybe you should move to a different state. Maybe change jobs or professions.

I am a tight ace....but I have been forced to get better over the last 14 years or so because of the other half. I think it has to do a lot with the type of place your eating at. Is it mcdonalds, perkins, or red lobster....I base the percentage accordingly then has to do with the server and service from there.

as a ex-server (8 years) - I always tip 20% UNLESS the server is rude. Not "bad" or "slow" - there is alot a server has to do, folks. But "rude" is a no no. If they are rude... they may get 15% ... exceptionally rude, I talk to the manager and leave 10%

Yeah, most folks don't realize that unless they've been there.

If I get adequate service I double the tax... here tax is 8.25% so doubling = 16.50% and may often round up to keep it even.

Now, if I have a server that goes above adequate then I'll double and then add depending on how awesome there are. IE just a little above and I'll get it up to 20%. REALLY awesome, great attitude, food great (keeping in mind that the kitchen is responsible for the cooking, NOT the servers fault if they botch it when the order was put in correctly), drinks kept up... etc. then 25% isn't unheard of.

Now, I read somewhere that the minimum wage law now had a thing added... that if the servers tips plus wage doesn't equal the regular min. wage that the employer has to make up the difference so that everyone is still getting at least minimum wage on a slow shift... but I could be wrong on that... or maybe it's just Texas... not a server now so I can't say for sure.

Just curious, what do ya'll tip if the hairdresser owns her chair? My hairdresser has her own chair so I would imagine she gets most of the $16.00 she charges to cut my hair right? I still leave her 5 bucks cause I like her but I was wondering.

I couldn't live on my server wage in Memphis, so I moved to Alaska where even servers make min wage. What I find funny is that people here are much better tippers than they are down South. In the South, for the most part, it's hovering around 10% tip in most circumstances, even the higher end places. Up here, it's MUCH better, except from some of the tourists. (Australians don't tip in Australia, but....surely you've heard that tips are standard in the US, right?!)

On small bills, I generally wind up leaving a 50-100% tip. (Coffee, a beer, a 6 dollar snack, etc.) Bigger bills it will generally be 18%-25%. I guess as someone that's spent a lot of time in F&B, I try to compensate for those that still don't realize how important tipping is. I literally will not go somewhere tips are accepted if I don't have the money for a good tip. I consider it part of the final bill, like the tax.

And I really appreciate the perks that come with it at my regular haunts, too.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom