What do you use for animal SAFE salt or de-icer?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
I'm needing a VERY safe animal safe salt or de-icer for my back yard and deck where my animals walk. I have dogs/pigs/chickens/geese..that will come into contact with and most likely EAT it... :rolleyes:
I dont want to use sand.. too messy...
Cat litter, not to sure about... same thing.. it doesnt dissolve..messy for my yard come spring..
What else do you guys use??

We just had freezing rain on top of old ice. Couldn't get out of the house. Happened to have a 5 gal. bucket of chicken feed on the porch. I broadcast it on the side walk and all the way to the barn. It gave me enough stick to walk on the ice and its totally poultry friendly. It won't melt the ice, but with this crazy winter I just have to make it a few days before it will be gone enough for industrial purposes.

I use coarse sand. Sprinkle on the ice and it provides excellent traction. Then sweep it off and it blends right into the soil.

What works best is to get out there and shovel snow. But if it gets ahead of me, I use the grit. Salt isn't good for the birds, but it is also very bad for your soil.

A good shovel works great. If you have ice building up, you can get rid of it by tapping, in a line (not in the same place, over and over) and then shoveling out the ice. Use a piece of rebar or any long, sturdy chunk of metal.

Back
Top Bottom