What do you use to clean off the wire bottom of the quail cages?

rachel

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Like, what tool (sponge, scrub brush...) and what cleaning solution? I was thinking of using vinegar and a scrub brush.
How often do you clean the wire floors?

I have a bird that looks like she has a mild case of bumblefoot. No limping yet but a small sore and a little swelling-- about the size of half a bb. I put some neosporin on it, though I couldn't wrap it. I can't see what good putting neosporin on the foot will do if they just continue walking around, won't it just rub right off? I figure a good scrubbing of the cage bottom couldn't hurt.

wire brush and lysol.... but havent had to yet (this is what i used ot use for my rabbits). barely ever have poo clinging to the wire it always comes off.
smile.png

eta didnt read the whole post until just now. Isnt bumblefoot caused mostly by just rubbing against the cageas they walk around? if so if youre flooring isnt dirty, just offer her some areas to rest. even cutting up a kitty litter box and making a doggy door entrance can make all the difference!
big_smile.png

heres a vid of mine:::

Last edited:
Thanks Monarc, they have a big flat-bottomed bowl thing that occasionally has sand in it (right before they spill it all) I thought that would be enough, I'll add something else too. The bird that has the sore is the bird that escaped a few days ago, so she may have hurt her feet while she was out practicing her flying and landing and I'm just now noticing. The floors in my pens are basically clean, they're a little dirty where the wood frame is underneath the coated wire around the edges. Since I'm pretty new to quail I wanted to be sure that I'm not overlooking something important.

Back
Top Bottom