What do you use to remove skunk smell of your dog

Its my worst nightmare...I always fear it would happen late at night....yuck....One of my old bosses told me her experience because we were all asking "whats that smell?"" is that skunk?"when she came into work and she told us that her dog got sprayed and her elderly mom had let him into the house....the problem was her mom had lost her sense of smell.....OMG I am laughing again thinking of us laughing so hard back then...she had a nightmare on her hands...she tried everything !She smelled for a while....O DU SKUNK....I remember she had to throw out her sofa.....hahahaha...oh I shouldn't laugh....tonight may be the nite !!

Skunk Off... it get's my vote as well. It is the only thing that has ever removed all of the odor when any of our dogs got skunked. I think that I have purchased it from my vet and also from pet supply stores. I always keep it on hand!

The worst story I have heard about is the small dog that had a cat door he used while the couple were at work in the days. You know that rubbing the face first then the whole body rolling thing dogs do when they like or dislike the smell of something? Ya, gather after getting sprayed the dog did that IN the house all day, all over the couches, the carpets, the beds. The dog had quite swollen eyes/face and scratched up face he had tried to get rid of the smell all day. So right after paying for the emergency vet call bill that night they had the whole house to start cleaning, got a rental carpet cleaner that night and tried a few things over a few days. Had a huge bill the next week when they called a pro in, nothing they tried did a good enough job.

Note to self - indoor dog or outdoor dog, no free choice unsupervised combo!

The worst story I have heard about is the small dog that had a cat door he used while the couple were at work in the days.

Is that a challenge?
smile.png

My grand-dad shot a skunk with a shotgun in the basement. In the earthen basement under the house. Had to dig the dirt out because the smell wafting up into the house was sooo horrible.

Another of my (hippy) friends lived in a tee-pee. Dogs and friend were inside when a skunk came in the flap. Dogs attacked skunk, skunk fired back inside of his tee-pee. Everything he owned smelled horribly like skunk for about 6 months.

Uffffffffffff.​

If we are going to share skunk stories, here is mine... big Rott-Shepherd mix caught a cute little baby skunk early in the morning and carried the carcass around all day... inside, outside (another dog-door cautionary tale), had a grand time! When my poor husband came home he retrieved the little body and hiked to the back edge of the property to bury it well away from the dogs. A horrid job! When he was finished with the burial he hiked back to the house... where he heard the alarm on the Invisible Fence transmitter blaring away.

Poor man had buried the skunk in the line of the fence wire and not even noticed! He had to dig up the body, bury it again, and then repair the fence. He was very unhappy with MY dog.

HA HA HA!!! I can just see him marching back and forth.smoke coming from his ears......and the dog sittin' and watching...that would be us tooo...hahahaha

The peroxide mixture works good if you get it within hours or an hour of being sprayed. If it has been over like 24 hours it just doesn't seem to get it all.

I have had great sucess with using something a little off the way. I sprayed mine - and have many times - Totally Toddler Nursery Odor and Stain Remover. Found it in the baby department at Wal-Mart. The ingrediants say all natural enzyme. So I asked my vet after it worked the first time. He said as long as I didn't leave it on he didn't think that was a problem. I left it on the first time 15 minutes and rinsed. No odor. Did that the other times and all gone. Even on a dog that was a stray and obviously had gotten in it bad. The peroxide mixture didn't touch it. But that Totally Toddler did. Just had to wait until morning to get more since I was out. LOL

Sometimes it is best to put NO effort into trying to get the skunk smell out!!
roll.png
I have 8 Golden's and 1 that is a skunk magnet, he enjoys grabing them, (killing them if i don't see him) If i see him, (he is so quick sometimes you don't see the skunk until it is in his mouth) he grabs it I yell NOOOOOOOO!! so he will fling it and come running back like I'm such a good boy, I sure do listen good!... eerrrrr!:mad: Yes 5 out of 6 weeks he was into a skunk this summer, THANK GOD FOR THE OUTSIDE KENNEL!!! (all my golden's stay in the house, the 5 beagles stay out in the kennel)
After being out in the kennel at night for a week I thought you don't smell to bad, your ready to come in for the night, I went in the garage for a second, and smelt it! Oh my gosh, he all most made it in for the night! Right straight back out to the kennel, that was six weeks ago, he don't smell to bad unless he gets wet! He is not getting a bath until the snow flies, then I know the skunks are not out!..

Back
Top Bottom