What do you use to start seeds?

Tuhmu

Crowing
11 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
Just curious what everyone else uses to start their seeds. Is it the little seed starting kits, saving containers from previous years, red solo cups :p;), etc?

We are going to use one of the little seed starting kits, since we didn't save any containers. But now I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should have just went with cups? so that they have a bit more room to root? idk We've always just purchased plants in the past, so it's another learning curve.

Share your methods please! :D

Just curious what everyone else uses to start their seeds. Is it the little seed starting kits, saving containers from previous years, red solo cups :p;), etc?

We are going to use one of the little seed starting kits, since we didn't save any containers. But now I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should have just went with cups? so that they have a bit more room to root? idk We've always just purchased plants in the past, so it's another learning curve.

Share your methods please! :D
Hello! I've got a bunch of peat pellets I'm going to use this year. If I run out, I may move on to the plastic pots. I think I've saved every single one I've ever gotten :lol:

Depends on the plants. For plants that I want to start early like tomatoes, basil, peppers, I have a grow light and some seed starting kits (and save old containers for repotting as the plants get bigger).

For most other vegetables like root veggies and greens, I direct seed into the beds.

I have used the kits in the past, but last year I used toilet paper rolls. I know that sounds silly, but I tear a few pieces at one end straight down, then fold them over to make a base. Then I fill a plastic container with them upright and fill each with potting soil. Since they are biodegradable, when the seedlings sprout, I just plant the whole thing. It worked great last year, so I am doing it again this year. I saved the rolls throughout the year.

I have raised beds in a small greenhouse. They were wonderful last year. I also used many old containers that people had given to me. If they ask for plants I just ask for the containers back. It worked out great. This year I'd like to start more plants so not sure how it will go. Hoping to have enough room. I have tried the starter kits in the past and didn't have very good luck.
I do have a question, if anyone is from the Northern NY area, or has the same type of weather, when would you start Tomato plants? I think I am a little late if I would want to start them now. But not really sure. But our weather has been so crummy, cold, damp, and yucky this year, I haven't gotten a chance to even get to the greenhouse.
thanks!

I have used a seed starting tray in the past, I have also used red solo cups. I found my seedlings fragile and lost most of them in the transition from indoors to outdoors. Last year instead I sowed the seeds right in my raised beds and figured they would grow when they were ready to grow and the strongest ones would survive. I had infinitely higher success this way and had my largest veggie harvest ever. With potted plants I put the seeds in their permanent pots from the start and then when the weather is right, move the pots from indoors to outdoors.

I use the seed starting kits that are self watering with the foamy fabric in the water tray and they work well for my needs. I have pretty good success rate starting seeds this way and for my smaller garden, the cost is minimal.

I save my cells (professional nursery heavy duty ones) and flats and reuse from year to year. Then I use coconut coir mixed with vermiculite and pearlite, as soon as shoots show up, I start added fertilizer to the watering mix.

Oh I also use green sand mixed in the coir mixture.

The tomato flats get my tomato mixture into the coir mixture and then again when transplatnted and then again once a week in the garden.

I also use a mix of coconut coir and vermiculite. A lot of times after they get their first leaves I will put them in a flood and drain system or float them in a half strength hydroponic formula
DSCN0911.JPG

DSCN0916.JPG

DSCN0924.JPG

Sometimes I start some seeds for the Extension Office to give to the schools and other projects they have going on.
DSCN0921.JPG

I use 200 cell trays for most leafy greens
I use 128 cell for larger stuff that I'm going to put into a hydroponic system
I use 72 cell trays for the bigger outdoor areas

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom