What do your hens do to beat the heat?

Uppity Peon

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Willamette Valley, OR
My neighbor's hens tend to retreat to the briar patch and lake lots of dust baths. Mine don't have that much freedom yet but their run is shaded by trees and they have a couple excavations going. I love to watch them squrm around and kick dirt on themselves!

(edit to change the subject line slightly)

Last edited:
Quote:
haha I think you just answered your own question
thumbsup.gif

I let my hens out to free range about noon daily and luckily there is a LOT of shade and places they can retreat to in the yard that are MUCH cooler than the air temp. I put ice cubes in their waterer if it gets past 90 and they do seem to like to dust bathe a lot as well. I have heard of people freezing water in 2 liter bottles and puttin around so they can lay next to them and cool off.

Love the post on here about fans where the lady said one of her roos would stand in front of the fan and spread his wings like..'AHHHHH'. Love that mental image!
lol.png

Our flock likes to take dust baths (I can't believe the size of some of the holes they can dig!!
ep.gif
), but during the hottest part of the day they are lounging in the coop taking naps.

wink.png
Oh to live such a life!! I wish I could nap the afternoon away!!

My little girls (almost 7 weeks) have been outside in the coop for the last few days and are really enjoying their new run. It still has all the grass and plants in it. Today was hot & humid here, and when I walked by the run, I didn't see a single chicken! Scared me at first. Then I saw the daylily leaves moving. All 8 of them were under my gigantic daylily, just lounging in the shade.

They only came out when I brought them cold watermelon.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom