What does a Silkie generally act like?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LittleLady98, May 15, 2011.

1. I need to know if Silkies are as sweet as I hope they are. Because I need a chicken that makes a good broody and will let me hold it when I want to.

BTW: I'm getting a Silkie in a few weeks. [​IMG]

2. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I heard and read that their really sweet,gentle and they will sit on anything lol.... but Idk I'm curious myself Because I'm getting some in a few weeks also

3. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Thats pretty much a silkie in a nutshell. They go broody easily and they will let you cuddle them. I have 2 that are kept here for pets for a friends little girl. Nice little birds and one of them lays the prettiest eggs Ive ever seen. Her eggs are perfectly shaped with a beautiful luster that is hard to describe. They shimmer in the light. Are you just getting one bird? They will do better with a buddy... you should get 2 [​IMG]

4. Quote:I already have 16 chickens!!!! Plus I have to factor in the eggs that might hatch (a friend is incubating them for me) ...and the fact I want Brahmas. [​IMG]

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Just in case you are looking for a personable and beautiful bird, you should definitely get a Rhode Island Red! I had one, and he was so personable, he let me do this to him!!!(look at picture below)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if your wondering, that is a sock on his head! Peep you are in my heart and always will be! Ill never forget you!<3 [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I have a rhode island red. Sweet boy (when you can catch him) he's not a cuddle bug. He prefers being loved at a distance unless you force him. Once you pick him up and he finishes squawking he will let me carry him around for a while no problem though but my 2 week old silkie chick already sleeps on my neck. Etc

7. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Silkies are super sweet, exceptionally quiet, and will work just fine with Brahmas... Brahmas are a very gentle bird by nature (plus they won't even jump 2ft fencing to get to your garden... Not flighty at all)

8. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I must have the only 2 NON QUIET silkies in the west . My 2 birds are very noisy especially when they want to lay an egg and someone else is using the nest box. They can pitch quite a vocal temper tantrum. [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Silkies are very docile chickens, and make very good broodies. Bantam Cochins also make great mommies! [​IMG]

~Aspen

10. *Breathes sigh of relief* I was asking about Silkies because I didn't know if the hatcheries were just trying to make a sale. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by