What does a Silkie generally act like?

LittleLady98

Crowing
8 Years
I need to know if Silkies are as sweet as I hope they are. Because I need a chicken that makes a good broody and will let me hold it when I want to.

BTW: I'm getting a Silkie in a few weeks.
hide.gif

I heard and read that their really sweet,gentle and they will sit on anything lol.... but Idk I'm curious myself Because I'm getting some in a few weeks also

Thats pretty much a silkie in a nutshell. They go broody easily and they will let you cuddle them. I have 2 that are kept here for pets for a friends little girl. Nice little birds and one of them lays the prettiest eggs Ive ever seen. Her eggs are perfectly shaped with a beautiful luster that is hard to describe. They shimmer in the light. Are you just getting one bird? They will do better with a buddy... you should get 2
wink.png

Just in case you are looking for a personable and beautiful bird, you should definitely get a Rhode Island Red! I had one, and he was so personable, he let me do this to him!!!(look at picture below)
tongue.png

89747_img_02041.jpg

if your wondering, that is a sock on his head! Peep you are in my heart and always will be! Ill never forget you!<3
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
I have a rhode island red. Sweet boy (when you can catch him) he's not a cuddle bug. He prefers being loved at a distance unless you force him. Once you pick him up and he finishes squawking he will let me carry him around for a while no problem though but my 2 week old silkie chick already sleeps on my neck. Etc

Silkies are super sweet, exceptionally quiet, and will work just fine with Brahmas... Brahmas are a very gentle bird by nature (plus they won't even jump 2ft fencing to get to your garden... Not flighty at all)

I must have the only 2 NON QUIET silkies in the west . My 2 birds are very noisy especially when they want to lay an egg and someone else is using the nest box. They can pitch quite a vocal temper tantrum.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom