What does apple cider vinigar do?

ok, for all you"doubters" out there
frow.gif

For those who don't know, I "rescued" 4 1 1/2 yr old Black hens. Had them 2+ weeks now. They came from a situation where this guy had 200 of these and 200 8 mo. hens all stuffed into 2 large cages (sort of, sigh) in an old barn. Only one has any feathers on her butt and at least one other is still missing feathers even on her head. Anyway, they are already doing much better, even the one with "pasty butt" not quite completely normal but she's just still a little drippy so it's butt wash today and and some athlete's foot powder. All have been receiving ACV in their water and now once a week the Oxine as well. One reallly huge success
celebrate.gif
One hen, when she finally started to lay had shells that were extremely thin and would either break immediately or get broken soon after by another hen climbing into the box or just trying to pick it up! She has now laid 4 eggs in a row. First one barely had a shell, seconda little better, 3rd still 2 color but, and today? A little smaller but a beautiful, perfect, hard shell
D.gif
Only thing I did different was started a few days ago putting a little more ACV in their water after reading here it aided in calcium absorption. Now I have 4 big black hens laying 4 beautiful eggs every morning! Oh yea, and those hens who were afraid to leave the coop because they had never been outside before? They are lined up waiting to be let outside in the morning! Believe what you want but I will never stop singing the praises of ACV!

YEAH, I found organic AVC with Mothers just at my local QFC! So happy they had it. I only have those half gallon waters and the lil colorful ones for the baby chicks. I only put about a cap ful into the 1/2 gallon ones and a few drops into the smaller ones. Is that enough or can I add more?

that's about what I do. 2 tsp (2 capfuls) per gallon. I just mix it in a gallon jug and fill my waterers from it.

I started my chickens today on ACV and they seemed to really like their water better with it in there. Thank You all for the advice! And I think I may start my dogs on it tomorrow since flea season is coming around quickly.

I use it once a week for ALL of our pets. Not only is it good for chickens, but its great for dogs, cats, and domestic birds too! Everyone here gets ACV once a week (Wednesdays). Right now with the chickies, they get their Super Vitamins on Monday, plain water on Tuesday, ACV water on Wednesday, plain water on Thrusday, Super Vitamin water on Friday, and plain water all weekend. ACV for chickens can boost egg production, 'clean out' their systems, and kill parasites. You can also use it to clean and disinfect their coop, perches, etc. and its completely non-toxic.
wink.png

PS...ACV for dogs: cleans them out, freshens breath, adds shine to coat, and helps keep fleas/parasites/mites away. For cats it also helps with hairballs. For parrots and domestic birds, it helps clean them out and adds to their diet. Not to mention, its also very good for you!
wink.png
What ratio do you use? Do you use different strengths for different animal or treatment?

Hi,

About a week ago I added apple cider vinegar to 5 gallon bucket of water for chickens (1 T/gallon). I checked on the water today, as all the chickens seemed to be just standing around the water bucket (is a nipple waterer). The water was cloudy. Does anyone have any ideas re how to prevent this? It's hot here in Georgia. Guess that somehow effects this.

Hi,

About a week ago I added apple cider vinegar to 5 gallon bucket of water for chickens (1 T/gallon). I checked on the water today, as all the chickens seemed to be just standing around the water bucket (is a nipple waterer). The water was cloudy. Does anyone have any ideas re how to prevent this? It's hot here in Georgia. Guess that somehow effects this.
I have the same issue here in PA. Any ideas if this is because of the addition of vinegar or if I need to add more? Thanks for your help!

My opinion of the FDA Quack Quack $$$$

Vinegar A Natural Approach to Avian Management

By

Wanda Barras

Many herbalists recommend the use of raw, unpasteurized, unheated, organic apple cider vinegar as an important dietary ingredient for humans, farm animals and pets, including birds. The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care describes apple cider vinegar in this way: Long a folk remedy, cider vinegar has been shown to improve the health of dairy cows, horses, dogs and other animals. It reduces common infections, aids whelping, improves stamina, prevents muscle fatigue after exercise, increases resistance to disease and protects against food poisoning. Cider vinegar is rich in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements found in apples, especially potassium; it normalizes acid levels [pH] in the stomach, improves digestion and the assimilation of nutrients, reduces intestinal and fecal odors, helps cure constipation, alleviates some of the symptoms of arthritis and helps prevent bladder stones and urinary tract infections.

Vinegar Through The Ages
Vinegar has been used to cure ailments for centuries. For hundreds of years, folk medicine practitioners have recommended daily doses of apple cider vinegar, not only for specific medical problems, but also for overall food health. In Asia vinegar is called the friend of Chinese herbs because it is often used to process herbal preparations. It is also successfully used in modern Chinese medicine.

Historically the origin of vinegar was never specifically noted. Vinegar was probably discovered when one of our ancestors found that wine exposed to the air would turn sour, thereby creating vinegar. It is amongst the oldest of foods and medicines know to man. For its healing ways, vinegar has been used for thousands of years. In 400 B.C, Hypocrites, known as the father of medicine, treated patients with vinegar, making it one of the worlds first medicines. Throughout biblical times, vinegar was successfully used to treat infections and wounds. For centuries medical textbooks have listed various ways to use vinegar. These uses include everything from keeping a sharp mind to purifying the waters of the body and to easing pain and alleviating dozens of other ailments. Modern laboratory analysis verifies the antibacterial and antiseptic properties of vinegar. Many of the old-time uses are just as applicable now as they were centuries ago. (Moore xii)

Natural Apple Cider Vinegar One Mother Natures Most Perfect Foods
Fermenting sweet juice makes vinegar. The juice turns to wine or cider which is allowed to ferment a second time until the alcohol mixes with oxygen in the air, changing it into acetic acid and water. Natural---that is, undistilled, organic, raw, apple cider vinegar is often called one of Mother Natures most perfect foods. Apple cider vinegar should be made from fresh, organic, crushed apples that are allowed to mature naturally in wooden barrels. Natural apple cider vinegar, found in health food stores, should be a rich amber color with the mother quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.

There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection ---they have no health value! They do not contain the health values of organic, raw apple cider vinegar with the mother still intact and viable. Distilled white vinegar and cider vinegar sold in supermarkets are considered dead vinegars with none of the enzymes and other live factors that make raw, unpasteurized vinegars so valuable. Distilling removes the beneficial mother from the vinegar, thereby, destroying the powerful enzymes and life giving minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, natural organic sodium, magnesium, sulphur, iron copper, natural organic flourine, silicon, trace minerals, pectin and other powerful nutrients. Also destroyed are natural malic and tartaric acids, which are important in fighting body toxins and inhibiting unfriendly bacteria growth (Bragg 1- 4).

Apple cider vinegar has shown to be an extremely valuable constituent in the bodys biochemical operations and an essential building block in the construction of many complex substances in the body. Vinegar is low in calories and carbohydrates but does contain small amounts of calcium, phosphorus, iron and, of course, lots of potassium. A cup of ACV is 98.8% water, has 34 calories, a trace of protein, and no fat. (Moore p.viii) Acetic acid, the principal constituent in vinegar, plays an important role in the release of energy from fats and carbohydrates. It is of primary importance in the bodys metabolism.

Apple Cider Vinegar Can make Any Living Thing Healthier
Dr. D.C. Jarvis, MD who wrote Folk Medicine, A Vermont Doctors Guide to Good Health and Arthritis and Folk Medicine, is completely convinced that apple cider vinegar could make any living thing healthier. He believes, Potassium, which is found in just the right amounts in natural apple cider vinegar is so essential to the life of every living thing and that with out it there would be no life. Potassium is the most important of all minerals that are necessary for good health. Potassiums main function is to promote cell, tissue and organism growth. It is necessary to replace dead cells and tissue. There is no better source of potassium than vinegar---particularly natural apple cider vinegar.

Dr. Jarvis believes Apple cider vinegar can help fight infection, simply by keeping fluids where they belong---in body cells, not in bacteria. Bacteria need moisture to thrive. As bacteria multiply, they will pull necessary fluids from healthy cells in order to flourish, particularly during times of stress when resistance is low. Stress is a major agent in causing a previously sub-clinical problem to break into a full-blown illness. If the process goes unchecked illness will occur. In order to defeat bacterial infections and illness it is important to keep moisture in the cells and prevent germs from depleting that moisture. According to Dr. Jarvis: If there is enough potassium in each body cell, it will draw moisture from the [harmful] bacteria, instead of the bacteria taking moisture from the body cells. Therefore by providing natural sources of potassium in the diet (fruit, berries, sprouts, edible leaves, edible roots, etc.) and including apple cider vinegar to that diet the body cells are provided with the necessary moisture-attracting potassium. It is interesting to note that many traditional medicines used to combat bacterial illness also work by depriving bacteria of moisture and thus keeping fluids inside the cells (OBrien p40)

Acidic pH Balance Will Discourage Bacteria, Yeast & Fungal Growth
Apple cider vinegar destroys microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi, viruses and others, and prevents poisons from reaching the rest of the systems of the body. It has been proven to inhibit the growth of gram-negative bacilli, Pseudomonas, and Candida. The acid nature of vinegar makes the digestive tract environment unpleasant for germs and fungus. Apple cider vinegar has proven to be a natural treatment (and preventative) in simple cases of avian pediatric digestive disorders. Dr. Jarvis through his own research believes that apple cider vinegar will lower bloods natural alkalinity, bringing it closer to a natural healthy acid state. A naturally acidic digestive tract digestive, with the correct pH balance, will discourage bacteria and is less likely to grow yeast and fungus. Apple cider vinegar can assist the natural process of breaking food in the stomach. The acidic qualities of ACV will help break down protein, in the digestive system, for absorption into the bloodstream.

Apple Cider Vinegar On The Farm
For the past year and a half I have routinely added apple cider vinegar, to my baby birds hand-feeding formula, to all drinking water and sprinkled some on the food of the animals here at our aviary and small dairy farm. These animals include several species of breeding exotic parrots, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats and LaMancha dairy goats. The vinegar keeps the water bowls and bottles very clean and sanitary and the animals seem to love it--- of course, the nutritional and health benefits are a plus. Apple cider vinegar added to young birds drinking water encourages early weaning and healthy weight gain and they will feather out faster. Adding a little raw apple cider vinegar to the hand-feeding formula water can prove nutritionally beneficial and help to inhibit the growth of yeast, fungus and bacteria. In formula a ratio of about ¼ tsp per 4 oz water is best.

You may safely add cider vinegar to food and/or drinking water, starting with small amounts and building up to ½ to 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of body weight or about 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (health food store variety best) to 8 oz water. That is about ¼ cup per gallon of water and/or you may sprinkle or spray small amounts on birds food. Gradually add small doses to food over time, you can help even the most finicky eater to accept this. Do not use metal food or water dishes when using vinegar, stainless steel is OK.

Hygiene Is Important
Proper hygiene is important in maintaining avian health. The environment we provide for our birds is totally different from the wild. Birds in the wild are acclimated to the bacteria found in their natural environment but its body has no experience in providing immunity to the bacteria commonly found in the unnatural environment we provide for them. That includes humanly transmitted bacteria, normal tap water, unsanitized food dishes, cages and the list goes on. (Doane 24)

Be aware that most of the recommended disinfectants we use in our aviaries and nurseries are harmful when ingested or even inhaled. I am by no means discouraging the use of these proven disinfecting agents, but I do urge caution when using any chemical. There are times when these strong disinfectants are recommended and even warranted. Although,they need not be used to excess. When called for, use them judiciously. I have herd horror stories of overzealous but well-meaning breeders who have had bad experiences with disinfectants while sanitizing aviaries, nurseries and equipment. When using strong disinfectants, such a Lysol, One-Stroke-Environ, Chlorox, Betadine and Wavecide-01, etc., read and follow directions carefully, make sure area is well ventilated and take pains to rinse thoroughly.

White Vinegar As a Cleaning Agent
Plain old white distilled vinegar will help reduce the toxic load in our environment. Vinegar is an organic, biodegradable, nontoxic substance. Vinegar can be used routinely and safely in the aviary and nursery as an effective cleaning and disinfecting agent. I do recommend for resistant bacteria and chronic problems the use of Wavicide or a similar product. Or, when dealing with a severe problem such as an epidemic outbreak, disinfect with a product such as One-Stroke-Environ. For routine cleaning and disinfecting plain inexpensive old vinegar is the way to go.

Food and water dishes should be cleaned daily and disinfected once a week. While servicing cages use a spray bottle of vinegar or vinegar and water as a daily spray and wipe for food and water dishes. Spray a small amount on container and wipe with a clean rag or paper towel.

To clean and disinfect food and water utensils: add 1-cup of white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of liquid soap to a sink of hot water. To remove stains and hard water film and as a weekly disinfectant soak cleaned dishes in straight white vinegar for several hours or overnight. Rinse well. You may want to periodically, every week, every other week or once a month disinfect with a commercial disinfectant.

Clean cages, perches, etc.: clean with a solution of half vinegar and water. For hard to remove grime let the solution soak for a few minutes before sprinkling with baking soda. Then scrub with a rag or brush to remove crud. Rinse with clean water.

Stainless steel or any metal cage cleaner/polish: Combine 2 tablespoons of cream of tarter and enough vinegar to make a paste. Rub the paste on and let dry. Wash off with warm water and buff with a soft, dry clothe.

Brass cleaner/polish: This may be a little time consuming for cages but it does work. Mix 1 cup powdered laundry detergent with 2 tablespoons of salt ion a glass or enamel pan. Stir in ¼ cup of white vinegar and slowly add 4 cups of boiling water until soap is dissolved. Let cool. Pour into a clean glass jar and cover tightly. Label and keep out of the reach of children and animals. To use shake well and pour about 1 teaspoon of the solution onto a soft clothe and then apply to brass. Rub gently, turning the rag often. Apply more of the solution until the tarnish is gone. Buff with a clean, dry cloth until brass is bright and shiny.

Aviary and nursery wall cleaner: Mix together ¼ cup baking soda, ½ cup white vinegar, 1-cup household ammonia and 1-gallon hot water. Use a sponge or brush to clean dirt, grime and fingerprints. It is always a good idea to have a room well ventilated when cleaning.

Aviary and nursery floor cleaner: Mix together ¼ cup liquid soap, ½ cup vinegar, and 2 gallons warm/hot water. Use to mop wood, tile, cement or linoleum floors.

For Mildew: Mix together ½ cup white vinegar, ½ cup liquid soap and ¼ cup salt. Apply to mildew on floors, walls, window ledges, etc. and leave in a well-ventilated place for 2 hours. Wash and rinse well.

For ant problem: spread a solution of half vinegar and half water all around the areas where ants are entering. Use a sponge to wipe down doorjambs, windowsills, and foundation cracks. Be careful not to pour this mixture on plants or shrubs.

For outdoor killing of small ants that travel in single file, a spray of white vinegar kills them instantly. Use an empty small plastic bottle with sprayer. Be careful about spraying around animals or birds. Do not spray into eyes.

Fruit and vegetable wash: add vinegar to the water in which you wash fruit, vegetables and greens. It inhibits bacteria, fungi, and other unsavory things.

In Conclusion
Why Vinegar? Because it can be used medicinally, gets rid of poisons in the body, has disinfecting and cleaning properties and is a natural, nontoxic, biodegradable substance. That is, vinegar is an unadulterated food, a powerful cleansing agent and healing elixir---a naturally occurring antibiotic and antiseptic that fights germs and bacteria. We would be smart to make use of vinegar in our own lives and in our avian nurseries and breeding facilities. --- For a healthier, stronger, longer life for our animals and ourselves.

http://www.cagenbird.com/index.htm

For further reading on vinegars medicinal and antiseptic qualities:

Baker, Cameron. Garlic, Vinegar, Olive Oil and Nuts, Published MicroMags, Boca Raton, Florida

Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., Apple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health System, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California

Doane, Bonnie Monro, The Parrot In Health and Illness, Published Howell Book House, New York, New York

Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. Folk Medicine, and Arthritis and Folk Medicine, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut

Moore, Melodie, Vim and Vinegar, Published Harper Perennial,, New York, New York

OBrien, James Edmond. The Miracle of Garlic & Vinegar, Published Globe Communications Corp., New York, New York

Puotinen, C.J., The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut
This was freaking great!!!🙌

apple cider vinegar has been used for over a thousand years as an immune booster and "crud" remover. I use it on myself as well as chickens. It's also a good source of many vitamins--including potassium (which is good for me cuz I'm allergic to bananas, so I needed another good source to get some!)

Getting UNpasturized (with the mother) vinegar is best....pasturization cooks off most everything good about the cider. It can be found in healthfood stores and is slowly beginning to show up at some regular grocery stores. It should NOT be used in METAL waterers, and a typical dose is 1-2 tsp/gallon. The amount used runs the gambit---some use it all the time, some do 1week on and 1week off, others only use it if they have a sick bird (and every variation in between). It works wonders on chickens with colds (yes they get them), as it helps break up the phlem.

I also use garlic....it has natural antibiotic properties, keeps the water from getting slimy (especially in summer), immune booster also, and makes your coop smell like pizza
tongue.png
. I just chop a fresh clove into little bits and put it in the reservoir...if a piece comes out the chickens eat it.

well...that's my 2cents
Sandra
This is awesome! Never heard this before! The garlic idea of GREAT! I have a BIG cooler for their water. Should I add a small plastic waterer and hang it up with the garlic in it for my chickens to drink? How many cloves per gallon? Do you mince it up?

Back
Top Bottom