What does apple cider vinigar do?

I have heard that certain things such as garlic can affect the flavor of eggs...has anyone found that to be true?... AND if so does vinegar affect the flavor of eggs?

Thanks,

I always have some organic ACV in the drinking water of my birds, except in the galvanized one in the coop, and it has never affected the taste of the eggs. Sometimes there's even a garlic clove floating in the same water, plus I sometimes chop up a couple to put in their food. Never have had any off-tasting eggs. I suppose you could majorly overdo it and start to taste something, but that much ACV could probably kill your birds before you tasted it in the eggs! Someone told me it made their eggs taste more buttery, notgarlic-y.

So tell me how much do you put in and what kind of a container do u need to use. i have metal ones. Do I need to forego the metal ones and get plastic? they dont make the plastic ones big enough How about for dogs? thanks for any info Kathy
smile.png
D.gif

Quote:

The "dose" varies widely(most common seems to be 1 - 3 tsp ACV per gallon of water) especially if you are giving it to you dogs or other animals (or yourself). One of the keys, which was said in a previous reply is getting the UN-pasteurized ACV. The acid in the vinegar will eat through the metal of the metal containers and ruin them not to mention adding the dissolved metal nasty things to the water itself (that's why vinegar is always sold in glass or plastic containers). You can get up to 7-gallon plastic waterers that I have seen. Here is at least one link:
http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...HLL34KL5P569H92JF302APFGF3RB5A4&pf_id=0026689, but there are many suppliers. Just do a Google/Ask/Yahoo search online for chicken waterers and you can find them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jimagination

If you want to just clean the waterers, you can use white vinegar. Rinse well.

It is the apple cider vinegar with the mother that provides probiotic effects to your flock. Don't mix ACV with any vitamins/electrolyte solution.

About Garlic... I could write a book...
Garlic is extremely effective in dissolving and cleansing cholesterol from the blood stream, it stimulates the digestive tract, is a known immune system booster, kills worms, parasites, and harmful bacteria, and is said to reduce fever and ease muscle cramps. Garlic will also disinfect wounds and ease a toothache.

Antibiotics can be given, but while they kill harmful bacteria in the digestive system, antibiotics also kill the good flora. Garlic provides a similar type of protection but without harming beneficial bacteria.

Fresh garlic can be used for infections, coughs, colds, flu, bronchitis, fevers, pulmonary conditions, gastric and skin complaints, rheumatism, all worms and also liver fluke, ringworm, ticks and lice.

It is said that many types of mites and fleas will not feast on animal with garlic in their skin. Which could be why our dog and cat don't have bug problems. Crush 1 or 2 cloves of garlic per bird and mix with feed.

I just put freshly crushed garlic on top of their feed. They love it!

I add freshly crushed garlic to plain fat-free yogurt with active cultures or to low-fat or fat-free low-sodium cottage cheese 2 or 3 times a week.

Two cloves of garlic per bird is given as a natural wormer. The yogurt provides beneficial bacteria.

I put the mix on top of their feed in a separate bowl or spoon feed them. No, I'm not kidding. Our birds forage our two acres and they will readily follow me back to the barn if I have a spoonful of yogurt or cottage cheese with garlic handy.

Another method is to crush the garlic cloves and put them into a stocking. Leave the stocking to hang in the fowl’s water for a week.

One teaspoon of crushed garlic with the oils mixed with one cup of olive oil and left to cure for about four weeks in a sterilized jar in a dark cupboard can then be drained and used as a pest spray in the hen house or on chickens or pets. ..Or your pasta salad or dog's or cat's food...
wink.png

If you grow your own garlic, you can occasionally feed garlic greens to your birds.

You don't want to put garlic in the water the same you are feeding them garlic. And no garlic in the water with ACV.

I have heard that garlic taints the eggs, but we haven't noticed any problems.

cookinmom ,are you from florida? i saw you mentioned jacksonville.if you meant jacksonville florida how far from jacksonville are you?

For those who use garlic on themselves--how do you get away from the horrible smell? You have probably heard the saying "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away, and an onion a day keeps everybody away." I think that must go double for garlic. Any suggestions?

My favorite way to get enough garlic is using a supplement, like Garlique or Kyolic. I like them better than the capsules because you only have to take one a day, and they don't give off a smell. Some folks probably would rather use fresh garlic, and that's ok, but I had a nice drop in blood pressure when I started taking a garlic pill daily, and I go for years between even getting a cold.

Back
Top Bottom