What does my chicken have?????

gengargirl

Chirping
May 11, 2021
I have had my first three chickens for a month now and still only once chicken is sick/ill.

She (a lavender araucana pullet) was initially separated for a week and a half due to sneezing, gasping/gaping, a foul odour and lethargy. She was taken to the vet (who didn’t deal with chickens, none of them do around my area apparently) and given a strong vet dose of oxytetracycline hydrochloride.

After a week on the strong antibiotic she came good and after ensuring no more discharge, sneezing, gasping etc I returned her to the other two (who still showed no sign of illness).
About two days after returning to the flock she started having a leaky, sticky nasa discharge again. I decided to monitor her and here’s what I have noticed.

when coop is covered to keep warm (winter here in Australia) she seems to do a lot better. She still “smells” slightly but it is not as strong as before, it’s so slight you wouldn’t even know. She has good days and bad days but on all days she comes out of coop, she free range forages in my yard, dust bathes, drinks, eats etc. However, she now gapes again (but no gasping), still occasionally has nasal discharge and sometimes throughout the day gets tired/lethargic.

Tonight I have brought her inside to sleep in front of a small heater and have noticed she’s not gaping whatsoever. I wiped her nose with some warm salt water and a cloth and cleared out what seemed like hard yellow snot from one nostril - this appeared to be where the smell was coming from, combined with extremely dirty head feathers (rest of her body/feathers don’t stink as bad it’s like a slight musty smell if anything). I noticed with the heater, her nasal discharge stopped too.

I’ve been trying to fit it with all the different respiratory symptoms out there but it doesn’t seem to fit one in particular. She doesn’t have any swelling whatsoever and never did so am not inclined to say it’s Coryza, but she does smell so idk? The others have been exposed to her on and off for a solid 2 weeks (taking away her “laundry hospital” stay) and they’re not sick, so I’m less inclined to say MG or something that would definitrly infect the rest of the flock?

I just don’t understand what it could be and am new to owning chickens, have NO vets in my area that are interested in dealing with or helping with chickens (they just want to cull and do an autopsy), and have no one else to turn to for help.

I have had my first three chickens for a month now and still only once chicken is sick/ill.

She (a lavender araucana pullet) was initially separated for a week and a half due to sneezing, gasping/gaping, a foul odour and lethargy. She was taken to the vet (who didn’t deal with chickens, none of them do around my area apparently) and given a strong vet dose of oxytetracycline hydrochloride.

After a week on the strong antibiotic she came good and after ensuring no more discharge, sneezing, gasping etc I returned her to the other two (who still showed no sign of illness).
About two days after returning to the flock she started having a leaky, sticky nasa discharge again. I decided to monitor her and here’s what I have noticed.

when coop is covered to keep warm (winter here in Australia) she seems to do a lot better. She still “smells” slightly but it is not as strong as before, it’s so slight you wouldn’t even know. She has good days and bad days but on all days she comes out of coop, she free range forages in my yard, dust bathes, drinks, eats etc. However, she now gapes again (but no gasping), still occasionally has nasal discharge and sometimes throughout the day gets tired/lethargic.

Tonight I have brought her inside to sleep in front of a small heater and have noticed she’s not gaping whatsoever. I wiped her nose with some warm salt water and a cloth and cleared out what seemed like hard yellow snot from one nostril - this appeared to be where the smell was coming from, combined with extremely dirty head feathers (rest of her body/feathers don’t stink as bad it’s like a slight musty smell if anything). I noticed with the heater, her nasal discharge stopped too.

I’ve been trying to fit it with all the different respiratory symptoms out there but it doesn’t seem to fit one in particular. She doesn’t have any swelling whatsoever and never did so am not inclined to say it’s Coryza, but she does smell so idk? The others have been exposed to her on and off for a solid 2 weeks (taking away her “laundry hospital” stay) and they’re not sick, so I’m less inclined to say MG or something that would definitrly infect the rest of the flock?

I just don’t understand what it could be and am new to owning chickens, have NO vets in my area that are interested in dealing with or helping with chickens (they just want to cull and do an autopsy), and have no one else to turn to for help.
I’m almost 100% sure your chicken may have Mareks Disease. Your hen sounds like she has all the symptoms. I will be back soon to give you more information! Sorry!

I’m almost 100% sure your chicken may have Mareks Disease. Your hen sounds like she has all the symptoms. I will be back soon to give you more information! Sorry!
So here is some more information:
Marek's disease (MD) is a common disease of backyard chickens that is caused by a herpesvirus. The virus causes proliferation of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell found in various tissues of the body, and is often described as a virally induced cancer.

Here is SOME signs (there are more):
  1. Paralysis of legs, wings and neck.
  2. Loss of weight.
  3. Grey iris or irregular pupil.
  4. Vision impairment.
  5. Skin around feather follicles raised and roughened.
  6. Running nose

Marek's disease (MD) is a common disease of backyard chickens that is caused by a herpesvirus. The virus causes proliferation of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell found in various tissues of the body, and is often described as a virally induced cancer.

2. Loss of weight.
  4. Vision impairment.
  6. Running nose
The treatment is none

This does not sound like Marek's Disease, but more like a respiratory infection.

Per @azygous:

"Amoxicillin is a good all purpose, broad spectrum antibiotic. Fish meds work fine for chickens and don't require a prescription. The daily dose is 250mg for a standard adult chicken."

https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-2377-fish-mox-amoxicillin.aspx

This pill is a 250mg pill. I'm really unsure of how long to give it/how often, so I'll tag some experts.

@casportpony @sourland @azygous @aart @Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
This does not sound like Marek's Disease, but more like a respiratory infection.

Per @azygous:

"Amoxicillin is a good all purpose, broad spectrum antibiotic. Fish meds work fine for chickens and don't require a prescription. The daily dose is 250mg for a standard adult chicken."

https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-2377-fish-mox-amoxicillin.aspx

This pill is a 250mg pill. I'm really unsure of how long to give it/how often, so I'll tag some experts.

@casportpony @sourland @azygous @aart @Wyorp Rock
My chicken had Mareks and those are the exact symptoms???? Idk tho

It's Coryza. You also need to give your hen a sulfa drug in conjunction with the Tetracycline. However, Baytril would be better than Tetracycline. Your other option is to cull the sick hen. She'll be a carrier and will spread the disease to other birds.

2. Loss of weight.
  4. Vision impairment.
  6. Running nose

thanks for your reply!
No paralysis of legs, wings or neck, no loss of weight, or grey iris/irregular pupils, no vision impairment, no skin around feather follicles raised or roughened, and only a runny nose! 🤔

It's Coryza. You also need to give your hen a sulfa drug in conjunction with the Tetracycline. However, Baytril would be better than Tetracycline. Your other option is to cull the sick hen. She'll be a carrier and will spread the disease to other birds.
Hey! Can I ask what makes you think it’s coryza? she only has nasal discharge, found the cause of smell which was matted feathers in under her wings, cleaned out and she smells okay now. Getting much better since the antibiotics, have started for another week and have been bringing her inside of a night as we have cold winters and she’s suddenly thriving. She never had watery eyes, facial oedema, diarrhoea or weight loss, she’s not laying yet so no issues in terms of egg shell quality/production, etc and didn’t have nasal swelling either, just simply the clear discharge.

As of yet she has not given the other hens this illness and my flock is from different places. Whatever it is has just affected her and ONLY her.

Back
Top Bottom