What does normal chicken poop look like, and when is it time to start Corrid?

RainForestBird

Songster
Jul 12, 2016
I have 5 Serama pullets that I have had for about 3 weeks. I haven't mixed them with the rest of the flock yet. Frankly, I'm a little worried that our weather has been too erratic lately, 40's last night and 60's during the day. So I've been keeping them inside with a 40 watt light at night. They go outside for several hours during the day, if its not raining. One of them has been having liquid poop last night and today, sort of the consistency and color of Gulden's Brown Mustard. The others poops are more solid mixed with white. Should I start Corrid? I'd have to give it to all of them because I'm not entirely sure which pullet is the problem. Also would putting both apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) with Corrid in the water be defeating the purpose? I've been wondering about that for awhile because I had some other pullets on Corrid and also put the vinegar in their water. They seem fine. But I think my rooster is starting to moult, and not in the best of spirits. BTW, the link to the article about chicken poop posted earlier is no longer working. They are on 1/2 Game Bird finisher with 30% protein and layena crumbles because they are close to that age and fresh berries for a treat, is that too much? I usually don't baby my pullets so much, but I thought Seramas were more fragile.

Sorry I'm not familiar with seramas.

I'm not sure if the added heat is a good idea or not.
And I for sure know nothing about that type of feed for them.

Let me think for a minute...of who 'knows' seramas.

Everyone is on Corrid now. This morning, the droppings in their night cage had what looked like bright red blood in clear liquid. I saw this before in the pullets I hatched myself that I mentioned had been on Corrid before. I really don't think it was Cocci either because none of them had pasty butt. Just the liquid mustard droppings then the blood. I separated the worst looking ones from the rest and put them under lights in an insulated building. I really don't believe that the problem was with the whole flock because there was only one that was sick looking, and that one died after 2 days of Corrid. Is there a genetic disorder that would cause blood in the droppings? None of my other chickens have been sick. The whole flock was treated, but none of them was really sick except for the one that died. Their feathers were a bit puffed up, but I don't really think that's too abnormal.

My 5 Seramas are in isolation, and outside right now because its a sunny day. They are eating and drinking (though not a lot of water). I did make sure they drank some. I also put a couple of drops of Wazine in their water. I have never used this before, but I didn't think it would hurt. Just in case it could be worms. They also have the usual Bragg's vinegar in the water. They are eating the usual food- 50% Gamebird grower / plumage 30% protein and 50% layena crumbles. They are 3 months old.

I plan to put them inside tonight under their 40 watt light because I don't want to make any sudden changes in routine, other than the medicine.

What else can I do? What else besides coccidia can cause bloody diarrhea?

I'm really worried, these little pullets are very tame and friendly, just the sweetest little birds that I was going to keep inside in the winter so I could handle them more.

20170923_134811.jpg
20170923_134743.jpg
20170923_134743.jpg
20170923_134426.jpg
20170923_134426.jpg
20170923_134426.jpg

Sorry for the multiple photos, I didn't get a photo of the blood unfortunately, I wanted to wash it off ASAP with bleach.

Bloody Poop IS Coccidiosis.

These are chickens..not game birds..they should not be eating game bird feed.
They should not be eating layer feed yet either.

Put them on a grower chicken feed.

A couple drops of Wazine isn't going to do anything.
If you want to treat for roundworms...that is the only worm Wazine will kill, you need to dose them correctly.

NO reason to separate your flock unless someone if getting picked on...what ever they have ALL have already been exposed....separating can cause more stress...stress IS BAD.

I agree, if you are seeing bloody poop, treat them with Corid. Make sure you are giving the correct dosage at 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

imho - eliminate the ACV or anything else you are adding to the water for the time being. Generally all you want in the water is the Corid. As for feed - they are only 3months old, so either feed an all flock/flock raiser feed or provide them with chick starter, the gamebird feed has too much protein - layer feed has too much calcium and not enough protein for them at this time . If you decide you want to feed layer later on, wait until the Seramas have started laying eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom