What does one do with a pekin duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Solsken Farm, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to pick up some bantams tomorrow and the guy emailed me tonight and asked if we want 3 free peking ducks. I know nothing about them. Can someone give me an idea what the heck folks do with these little critters? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2008
  2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    They lay nice big eggs that are great for baking. They are also wonderful meat ducks. I will warn you they eat like pigs. They are super poopers too.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Did you say little? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2008
  4. Solsken Farm

[​IMG] I just read about them on Wikipedia. Dear lord, the poor things are eaten when they are 7 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!! That is so sad.

We don't eat duck. I think I better pass.

But my favorite book growing up was called Ping, about a chinese duck. Obviously they did not tell the TRUE story of Ping.....[​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Previously DuckLady! Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I love pekins for pets. They are loud quackers and are fairly personable. They make good pets and lay huge eggs!

6. Solsken Farm

How do they get along with other critters? We have goats, horses, dogs, cats and chickens. How do they fare in the frozen tundra? What do they do all winter?

7. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    they will be fine in the winter mine do fine with the chickens.

8. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    I have a Pekin and Cayuga with my chickens. They're pretty fun and entertaining... they do eat and poop much more than chickens. If you have space, its not a problem.

9. Hi!
    I didn't notice if the ducks are drakes or hens.
    My Pekin drake harasses the chicken hens and tries to mate them. He brutalized my pen of NN Silkies before I realized he could snake under the fence.

What we do with Pekin ducks is raise them for the table --- some are *special* and are pets.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

10. Solsken Farm

I passed on the ducks. I do not know if I will ever be able to eat an animal that comes to our farm......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by