What does this hen have ?

She has the worst case of bilateral ear infections I have ever seen. MOST of that will come out in a big clump if you take and give it a tug/pull. YOU NEED TO START HER ON ANTIBOTICS ASAP.
DO not use the peroxide again. It will not help.

when you get the clump out it will feel better for a while because some of the pressure will be relieved.

After you get the clump out of her ear if you can get any antibiotic ear drops put some in her ear, Ask around family & friends to see if they have any.
A shot of antibiotics would be best if you can not get her an injection then at least start the powder antibiotics.

CLICK ON THIS LINK

http://flufnstuff.com/flufnstuff/mo...ve+An+Injection+to+your+Chicken+-+Antibiotics

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so quickly.

Just from looking at it I thought maybe ear infection, but I'm not that knowledable on chicken diseases. Thanks so much for the info.

I will tell them to start her on oral antibiotic which I know they have. As far as injectable I'm not sure they have it on hand, but I will offer to go get some Monday if they need it.

Now for a couple more questions. How could I go about getting the 'gunk' out? With a tweezers? The problem that I see is that it looks very hard and I'm afraid pulling on it could be disasterous. I was thinking it needed to be softened first. Any thoughts on that?

Also, are ear infections in chickens often secondary to anything else? Are they almost always bacterial?

And finally, Would it be a real bad idea to bring this chicken to my place where I could give it more attention? I live on less than a quarter of an acre and can not house it that far away from my own small flock.

Thanks so much again.

Urban Agrarian

Last edited:
It should come out easy BECAUSE it has hardened a bit and it will be like a plug just put on a rubber glove get some tissues and try to pull on an edge it will probtbly pop right out.

Quote:
She is part of a commercial egg flock that has about 150 chickens on a diversified farm. I think that they didn't notice her among the crowd until she got droopy. Their chickens are well cared for but it's not like my tiny 4 hen flock where I know exactly who layed each egg and just about the time they are going to lay one and who sneezed yesterday.

I know they will be willing to treat her. Some places would just immediatly cull. They are quite busy and I enjoy helping them out with things like this, becasue both they and I will learn something. Although it would have been better if the hen were treated earlier, she will be treated and hopefully recover.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Urban Agrarian
http://urban-agrarian.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom