What does YOUR basic tuna casserole consist of?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 24, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I used to make a killer one with pepperjack cheese but I have forgotten what else I used to put in it! I Did a google search but everyones recipes are all fancy. I am just craving some basic tuna casserole!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I just use noodles, a big can of tuna, cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 cup sour cream and some half and half to thin it, a can of green peas, and cheddar cheese on top, although pepperjack cheese sounds like it would be good. As Peg Bracken said in her "I Hate to Cook" book, you don't want to sew diamond buttons on denim overalls.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I do pretty much like the one above, but I like capers in mine. I know, gross, but I like 'em.

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Thanks guys. Now I can get my fix. I think capers sound good with the tuna, but I also like em a lot

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Tuna, a can of cream of Mushroom soup, and cooked noodles. Bake together. It's it.

My mother always topped it with crushed potato chips. An unnecessary expense and unnecessary calories as far as I am concerned.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:You forgot the cheese!

I ended up using two cans of cream of celery and one can of cream of chicken, five cans of tuna, a block of pepperjack cheese, and a bag of egg noodles. No topping. This made two casserole dishes of tuna casserole. I think I'm set, lol

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    It sounds really weird, but a friend gave me her recipe that uses a little red wine in the sauce.
    Turns a horrible gray color at first, but then you'd never know it was in there.

I must have frozen green peas in mine & a crunchy topping - Panko crumbs with melted butter
    : 9
    Everything else is optional.

8. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    I use to make it with mushroom soup and sour cream mixed with sharp cheddar. I have been using Greek Yogurt instead and it gives a nice tang. We like veggies in our tuna casserole. It can be anything but these are a few favorites sliced mushrooms, diced red peppers, onions, black olives, and green peas. I like something crunchy on top like crushed cornflakes, potato chips or French fried onion rings.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I would rather have green beans in tuna cassarole. Also you can't forget some kind of cheese. I would top with those dried onions that we use in green bean casserole for the top. Sounds good, I might have to make this soon!

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Not gross - I LOVE capers! [​IMG]

My tuna casserole starts with tuna and noodles...and then I add whatever frozen veggies I have. Lima beans are yummolicious in it, but my DH is not a lima bean fan, so I use 1/2 limas, 1/2 peas or beans...and pretty much whatever else is about to go over the hill in the fridge! I once made a tuna and hot dog casserole. I thought it was pretty tastey...DH thought [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by