What dogs do everyone own?

I think it’s something in the gene because there’s other genes that cause Merle or similar look that don’t have issues I think. And I suspect the health problems in other breeds might not be from the merle itself but just from the fact that they are unhealthy/BYB and more prone to them in general? Idk
idk either

Black mouth curs are actually Tennessee hunting dogs. A litter of puppies were sent up up from the south through a rescue group when the mom was hit by a car. We picked him up from the rescue on Christmas Eve.
He is a hunting dog by breed, but he's a chicken livestock guardian dog by choice. He watches for hawks, sounds the alarm and chases after them. He's a good boy and learned it on his own.
Biko (a girl) is named after Stephen Biko, African apartheid activist. Biko (pronounced Beeko) loves to be in the midst of the chickens, but she sneaks into the coop and steals eggs and then tries to blame it on Wiley.
Oh, cool!! That's great that you were able to rescue him.

20210506_100958.jpg
20210415_160633.jpg
Maisy! She's some kind of lab mix. The guy we got her from off craigslist said she was a lab/pit, but she looks like there's hound in there.
She's pretty low energy, which I appreciate. My mornings are pretty busy with my four small kids and all the livestock so it's a blessing she's good with a short walk or a game of fetch.
We got her in January when she was 4.5 months old.
She's grown a lot since then! I'll include a younger pic as well
20210204_174131.jpg

Well, I have a ton of dogs, due to fostering for rescues and rescues dumping them on me. Right now I have 2 Shiba Inus, Chow mix, Lab, Border Collie, 2 Irish Wolfhounds, Rottie/Lab mix, a Rat Terrier, Lab/Boxer mix, Pointer mix, and 2 medium sized mixes. Quit fostering till I can get my numbers down. Most are seniors. I worked for vets for 8 years, before I became a human doctor. I saw a wide variety of dogs but ran across Leonbergers when we got our first dog. I got my first on in 2000 and have had them ever since. They are like having a huge Golden Retriever and very human in nature. They are VERY good with children. They have webbed feet and love to swim, which is good because my kids swim every day. My other favorite breed is a Pyrenean Mastiff, which is a livestock guarding breed. Ours is more to guard the family and farm in general and stays inside with us. My last one just passed away at 12.5 years old, which is very good for a dog that weighs 165#. Several of my Leonbergers have made 12.5 years old, but they are not quite as massive. My males are usually 140# and females 120#.

Here's Aslan, Misty, and Rutger....
Hey ok so I stumbled across leonbergers again and now I kinda WANT. Have you ever done draft with yours? Have you had issues with them being stubborn at all?

Back
Top Bottom