What duck breeds are good for beginners? (currently all hypothetical)

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I am planning for pretty far in the future, and would like to get some ducks. (In the future-not happening soon) What breeds are good? I would like to start with 6. I was thinking 2 pekin, one chocolate runner, and one blue runner, but wasn't sure on the other two. Do these breeds work well together? Is it better to start with just one breed? Can different breeds be together at all? What breed(s) could be good for the other two?

I have 2x Swedish Blue which I’ve read are wonderful beginner’s ducks. I absolutely love mine, and would highly recommend.

Attachments

• 37557A2E-0EE2-4484-BE8B-0E7A26B1227B.jpeg
    37557A2E-0EE2-4484-BE8B-0E7A26B1227B.jpeg
    691.8 KB · Views: 2
I don't know anything about ducks, but I hear that Muscovy ducks are quiet compared to other breeds. You have to get used to their looks, however.
I just looked them up, and oh goodness! They are quite something. In my evil plans for the future (which can be read about here) Noise isn't an issue. I was thinking about the other breeds because I have seen a lot about them on BYC, and they are adorable.

my boys are definitely more quiet then my girls. i love pekins just because of how big they are. my pekin boy is super cuddly. most people say khaki campbell are skittish, but my girl follows me around and loves to be carried.

my boys are definitely more quiet then my girls. i love pekins just because of how big they are. my pekin boy is super cuddly. most people say khaki campbell are skittish, but my girl follows me around and loves to be carried.
Ok, thank you! My current list is:
-1 pekin
-1 chocolate runner
-1 blue runner
-1 blue swedish
-1 khaki campbell
I will probably double up on one of these breeds! Thank you everyone for suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom