What duck should I get?

Pranav A.

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2018
I want a very loving, affectionate duck that I can keep in my room (with a diaper) with a Silkie, but I can't keep loud ducks. I know Muscovies are really quiet, but I heard males are jerks, and the red tumor things on their faces kinda freak me out. I really want a Pekin but I've heard that they are loud. Is there any way you can train a Pekin to be quieter? It should be fine as long as the neighbors can't hear it. Kakhis and Harlequinns sound nice too.

Based on what you said I don't think you should get any ducks.

You are either super young or super old and Ducks are ducks not dogs if you want something to hang out in your room go get a dog or a cat a duck needs to be around other ducks they need to go swimming any crap all over the place and they need to make a mess.

Thats what ducks do! Seems like you wanted duck for all the wrong reasons.

You remind me of this Muscovy duck that was a house duck in New York City the person cut their bill for some whatever reason maybe hoping it would be quiet. and now it is in Farm Sanctuary in Upstate New York.

Seriously put your selfishness aside and think about the animals health for one second!

Based on what you said I don't think you should get any ducks.

You are either super young or super old and Ducks are ducks not dogs if you want something to hang out in your room go get a dog or a cat a duck needs to be around other ducks they need to go swimming any crap all over the place and they need to make a mess.

Thats what ducks do! Seems like you wanted duck for all the wrong reasons.

You remind me of this Muscovy duck that was a house duck in New York City the person cut their bill for some whatever reason maybe hoping it would be quiet. and now it is in Farm Sanctuary in Upstate New York.

Seriously put your selfishness aside and think about the animals health for one second!

I am not going to put an animal in a situation where it would be unhappy. I am not going to buy the animal until I do my research first. I planned to build a large coop for the duck, and planned to take them out every single day. I was on the quail forum before, and they said that that would be ok for a pair of ducks.

As stated there are other animals much more well suited for indoor living than ducks. While ducks are entertaining to watch and personable, so are other species. They are extremely messy and stink easily if not outside, I had only two ducklings and I couldn't wait to be able to move them out as it was definitely a chore keeping up in their sanitary needs. Why not a parrot if you want an inside bird? I have an African grey and he is a wonderful companion.

I forgot to mention that I have a pair of Pekins and they are very large for a duck. The female is loud but it doesn't bother me at all, however I am out in the country. Drakes are very quiet of all the ducks.

You aren't being 100% clear about how you intend to keep them. You said a duck and a chicken in your room but also said a pair of ducks outside. Which is it?

I believe (based on what I observed in my birds) that ducks are far more attached to their flock mates than chickens. A chicken can go off by itself for a bit and do it's thing. A duck doesn't like being by itself, except maybe when laying an egg. Even if you are there with the duck 24/7 it's still not the same.

I also think that while ducks will tolerate chickens they won't form that strong bond like they do with their own kind. I have a pair of Cayuga that were raised with a batch of chicks. They like the chickens well enough but they are bonded to each other. My WH that weren't raised along side chicks do not like the chickens. Unless the duckling and silkie are raised together I don't think they are going to bond. Even then I don't think they would make the best pair.

If you want to raise a house duck that is one thing. I think it would be cruel to keep it confined in just one room though. I'm sure the folks on the house duck thread could give you a better idea of what breeds do okay indoors.

Also, even if a breed is know to be calm and quiet, doesn't mean an individual bird will be. Both Cayuga and WH are suppose to be quiet breeds but all the girls were very noisy until they started laying. And I mean they were not only loud but the noise was constant. And these were birds that weren't confined. They free range all day. If noise is going to be an issue at all you may want to rethink the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom