What else can I do for coccidiosis in my brooder?

The temperature in my brooder is 80 degrees on the cool side. I've heard that overheated chicks will hold their wings out and pant; mine aren't doing that. They're happily scratching around and eating and drinking and chirping, except when they're sleeping. When they sleep, they always sleep on the warmer side of the brooder.

Also, I've seen bloody poop.  I've seen it in the brooder and I've witnessed it coming out of a chick's vent twice.  Not a lot of blood, but it's there.

That definitely no doubt sounds like coccidiosis, how old are your chicks and how warm is the hot side? Keeping the brooder warm makes for easy growth of bacteria but if your chicks are still really young it's necessary, sometimes chicks dont necessarily show all those signs of overheated sometimes they just get really quiet and not moving much, and then sometimes they can just die, but I'm guessing that the coccidiosis is your big problem though I could be wrong.

Okay, going out on a limb here.....we are dealing with chicks. They have immature immune systems, need supplemental heat because they can't regulate their own body temperature yet, and they have immature digestive systems. If they were out with a broody hen, she'd be showing them what to eat, but they'd also be picking up lots of bits of little gravel and dirt and being exposed to the natural pathogens and fungi in the soil as they scratch or dig. They'd be running around all over the place (even when it's in the teens outside) and just scooting under her for a quick warm-up. In the artificial environment we provide chicks when a broody isn't available, none of those good things are happening. Instead the entire broody area is close to the same temperature throughout, there is no natural footing and dirt to scratch in, and we ply them with "goodies" in an effort to make them strong and healthy. We overload those little digestive systems with this "biotic", that medication and the other preventatives available in any feed store. And we never let them learn the healthy and healing benefits of a solid, restful night's sleep - sundown to sunup. I think my first batch of overindulged indoor, heat lamp, tons-of-this-and-that-in-their-food-and-water raised chicks survived despite me, not because of me!
lau.gif

I think @junebuggena has hit the nail squarely on the head. Overheating harms more chicks than chilling. When they overheat, they simply cannot deal with additional issues, and it sounds like your chicks still have to fight off some issues. The kindest thing to do is simply to keep them as comfortable as possible. Pouring more and more preventatives and remedies down them is upsetting an already fragile imbalance. If you are sure the culprit Cocci, then by all means keep the brooder clean and give them the proper doses of medication for that, but I think I'd stop all the other stuff and just see to it that they have plenty of fresh water and a good chick starter. Let their tummies recover.

Chicks really aren't as delicate as many would have us believe, as long as their basic needs are met. So I'd cut back on all the other stuff, give them a bigger brooder where they can get away from the heat a little more, and give them the Corrid as recommended - IF you are sure you facing cocci. Red in the stools can come from other things...if their digestive systems are having trouble they can also shed bits of intestinal lining, which in and of itself just happens sometimes anyway, even in healthy adult birds. That said, truly bloody stools are indeed cause for alarm so you are being very wise to keep an eye on that!!

Above all, relax!!
wink.png
I know you are concerned for them, and that's a good thing!! But we can all overdo a good thing from time to time. You've got this - you sound like a very responsible, caring owner and I know you just want the best for them. The sad truth is until they start to recover, the possibility of losing another chick is very real. You can't beat yourself up over it - you learn and then you know what to do if there's a next time. But I have a feeling just from reading your post that you are more than willing to do whatever it takes to get them through this, and then prevent that "next time" from happening! Good luck, and do keep us posted on how they are doing!

Welcome to BYC...I'm sorry that you joined us under such trying circumstances, but remember that most of us have sadly lost a chick or two and we do know how you are feeling!! The first chick I lost out my first batch made me feel so bad I'd have to improve to feel lousy!!

When I battle coccidia in the brooder the treatment regimen involves using an antibiotic in the water in addition to the Corid. The cocci appear to promote lethal secondary infection the antibiotic suppresses. I also use a medicated chick feed. Feed application is such that feeder has to be refilled twice daily with thorough cleaning each time. Electrolytes not used. It takes a solid week for weight gain to resume when infection heavy and some birds are already moribund even before they start to get lethargic. The moribund birds are the one producing notable blood in feces.

Okay, going out on a limb here.....we are dealing with chicks.  They have immature immune systems, need supplemental heat because they can't regulate their own body temperature yet, and they have immature digestive systems.  If they were out with a broody hen, she'd be showing them what to eat, but they'd also be picking up lots of bits of little gravel and dirt and being exposed to the natural pathogens and fungi in the soil as they scratch or dig.  They'd be running around all over the place (even when it's in the teens outside) and just scooting under her for a quick warm-up. In the artificial environment we provide chicks when a broody isn't available, none of those good things are happening.  Instead the entire broody area is close to the same temperature throughout, there is no natural footing and dirt to scratch in, and we ply them with "goodies" in an effort to make them strong and healthy. We overload those little digestive systems with this "biotic", that medication and the other preventatives available in any feed store.  And we never let them learn the healthy and healing benefits of a solid, restful night's sleep - sundown to sunup.  I think my first batch of overindulged indoor, heat lamp, tons-of-this-and-that-in-their-food-and-water raised chicks survived despite me, not because of me!  :lau

I think @junebuggena
 has hit the nail squarely on the head.  Overheating harms more chicks than chilling.  When they overheat, they simply cannot deal with additional issues, and it sounds like your chicks still have to fight off some issues.  The kindest thing to do is simply to keep them as comfortable as possible.  Pouring more and more preventatives and remedies down them is upsetting an already fragile imbalance. If you are sure the culprit Cocci, then by all means keep the brooder clean and give them the proper doses of medication for that, but I think I'd stop all the other stuff and just see to it that they have plenty of fresh water and a good chick starter.  Let their tummies recover. 

Chicks really aren't as delicate as many would have us believe, as long as their basic needs are met.  So I'd cut back on all the other stuff, give them a bigger brooder where they can get away from the heat a little more, and give them the Corrid as recommended - IF you are sure you facing cocci.  Red in the stools can come from other things...if their digestive systems are having trouble they can also shed bits of intestinal lining, which in and of itself just happens sometimes anyway, even in healthy adult birds.  That said, truly bloody stools are indeed cause for alarm so you are being very wise to keep an eye on that!!  

Above all, relax!!  ;)   I know you are concerned for them, and that's a good thing!!  But we can all overdo a good thing from time to time.  You've got this - you sound like a very responsible, caring owner and I know you just want the best for them.  The sad truth is until they start to recover, the possibility of losing another chick is very real.  You can't beat yourself up over it - you learn and then you know what to do if there's a next time.  But I have a feeling just from reading your post that you are more than willing to do whatever it takes to get them through this, and then prevent that "next time" from happening!  Good luck, and do keep us posted on how they are doing!

Welcome to BYC...I'm sorry that you joined us under such trying circumstances, but remember that most of us have sadly lost a chick or two and we do know how you are feeling!! The first chick I lost out my first batch made me feel so bad I'd have to improve to feel lousy!!  

I provide more heat during outbreaks but also make so there is a larger thermal gradient so birds can get away from excessive heat. Mine seem to move back and forth along thermal gradient with sick birds spending more time in the warmer areas.

Back
Top Bottom