What else can I try?

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Please answer ASAP!
I have a baby pigeon that's about 26 days old and he/she's never been able to walk correctly. I've been treating him for splay leg and he's gotten a bit better but he doesn't seem to be able to stand. When I say stand I mean like he just walks on his stomach and uses his wings to help him move, but he never straightens his legs to stand up.
He always is laying down and I don't know how to help him get better.
Culling is not an option. He does not have to walk perfectly just enough to get around okay.

I had one like this before and he got a lot better and we did nothing for him but unfortunately he died before he got completely better, so i dont think they will ever be right, i would just leave him and see what happens

Take him to a vet ASAP. As he is still young and growing there is a good chance he can recover with proper treatment.

If you leave it longer it will be much harder or even impossible to fix the problem. Only the vet can tell you exactly what is wrong, and he will be able to give the best treatment.

Good luck with you little pigeon.

I would give him minerals and maybe calcium supplements. If you don't want to cull him then i would suggest you don't try the vet because they would most likely suggest it as being the best thing for him. I would recommend cider vinegar in the water for all your pigeons as well. :)

Hope you find something to help.
From experience I find in most cases these birds are an outcast in most flocks and are bullied and picked on their entire shortened life.

Good luck to you and your squab.

Last edited:
I would give him minerals and maybe calcium supplements. If you don't want to cull him then i would suggest you don't try the vet because they would most likely suggest it as being the best thing for him. I would recommend cider vinegar in the water for all your pigeons as well. :)
I have been giving him apple cider vinegar in a water dish that I put near him and I have food near him too.
Right now he still has the protection of his parents, but I'm hoping that I can get him better enough to give him to someone as a pet.
I might try Nutri Drench, because I might have to buy it for some new chicks I'm getting.

I have been giving him apple cider vinegar in a water dish that I put near him and I have food near him too.
Right now he still has the protection of his parents, but I'm hoping that I can get him better enough to give him to someone as a pet.
I might try Nutri Drench, because I might have to buy it for some new chicks I'm getting.
Please be aware that apple cider vinegar will actually TAKE CALCIUM of the birds body if they have too much of it. It may be part of the problem.

It is not going to be a nutrient deficiency if all you other birds are well and you feed them a proper pigeon diet. Adding extra nutrients can also do more harm than good.

If you care enough not to cull him, then taking him to the vet is your best chance. Otherwise he is going to end up disabled for life.. and he may not have a very good quality or happy life.

If you care enough not to cull him, then taking him to the vet is your best chance. Otherwise he is going to end up disabled for life.. and he may not have a very good quality or happy life.
This is a hard decision to make for someone with a kind heart especially a youngster or teenager. Even trained professionals veterinarians due what has to be done to end pain and suffering for an animal with no quality of life.

It is MERCY.

It should be done if the bird is showing no sign of improvement 8 weeks after hatching ( in most cases even before then in my opinion.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom