What else do I need?

Little chicks are sorta dopey and might eat the shavings. That's why the paper towels.

I bought the cheapest (cheepest?) paper towels I could find. Layer them over and over in the brooder. They get poopy really fast. Then all you have to do is peel back one layer and voila - fresh paper towels. Super easy.

I was going to suggest a thermometer as well. I found a digital one for about $5 in the reptile section of the pet store. You'll want to know the temp in your brooder.

You're going to love those little fluffy butts. They are so precious when they are little. Mine used to run around like banshees and then stop in place and fall asleep with their beak hitting the floor. My kids would roll on the ground in laughter. They also sprawl out and sleep like puppies. It's all win!

Sounds pretty good. I personally like to start grit (sand) about the third day I get them but if you just feed the starter, it is not necessary. I think the grit helps grind up any wood shavings that make it to the gizzard and it may help prevent pasty butt. No science behind that, just my opinion.

With 15 chicks, make sure all can feed at the same time, otherwise the more timid ones will become runts. That may require two feeding stations.

I feel you can discontinue the paper towels after about three days. By then, they know what the main food is.

Quote:
Start yesterday and work every spare moment that you have
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom