What else looks like "water belly"?

hfchristy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I have a 2.5 year old Welsh Harlequin with a seriously droopy pouch hanging down between her legs. Not quite to the point of dragging, but it's getting awfully close! Over the summer I thought it was just eggs in there since she laid more eggs and bigger than the others (different breeds). Then when the eggs stopped, I thought it was just stretched out, but it has continued to get bigger.
Searching the internet led me to think it was "water belly", and since this has been slowly progressing, and she seems otherwise fine, I figured it was worth trying to drain. Watched videos, etc, and a friend and I tried yesterday. Nothing. Found a different chicken-raising friend who is also a nurse and has done this to humans. Still nothing.

There were no hard lumps or anything. Completely squishy like you'd expect with fluid and obeys gravity, spreading out when you flip her over. What else could this be?

She seems otherwise healthy, but it's getting big enough to interfere with movement. Things like getting in and out of their pool seem to be a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom