What feed do you reccommend I get and why?

i use co-op brand beef builder and all of my chickens are as fat as ticks especially in the winter when i up their feed
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
and they lay very good on this

Last edited:
I go to my local feed store and use layer mash....They also premix oyster shells and some grit so there is no mixing on my part....My girls love it and it's half the cost of Dumor...I pay $10.50 per 50lb bag

Mash is powder, crumbles are larger and pellets are the largest feed. Chicks will start out with crumbles and I don't see the need/use of mash though many use it. Pellets I feed as soon as they are large enough to eat them- 12 weeks. My larger birds through crumbles all about the ground then refuse to eat them so I've much less waste when feeding pellets.

The size of feed has no bearing on type. Which type of feed you use, starter, grower, layer or one of the game bird feeds, is dependent on purpose of bird or age of growth. They vary in protein, fat and calcium amounts. Then there is your choice of soy free, organic and levels of animal protein. Actual name brands are rather irrelevant if you know what you want and read the ingredients/nutrient analysis. They should have brochures or you can look online for that. It's also listed on tags on bag.
Oh how I wish mine would eat the crumble. They just refuse it now at their age and it ends up all over the ground. I end up fermenting it so it looks like mash. How I wish I could change them, or do I make them go hungry until they eat it?

My grown birds get 16% layer PELLETS from Tucker Milling (does contain animal based proteins). Along with a mix of BOSS, scratch, oats and calf manna

Chicks get medicated chick starter (crumbles) along with oats (soaked, rolled oats) so that they can consume them

Diet will depend a lot on what you are trying to accomplish....as I raise birds in HOPES of showing them, size and feather condition are both very important

About an hour away, there is a mill that grinds their own blend with some very nice ingredients. It is a mash, which I didn't care for, but the birds did great. However, the distance makes it not practical for a small flock, so I currently use Nutrena Nature Wise layer pellets.
Not a lot of options here, mainly Layena and Nutrena. My birds did fine on Layena, but it made their waste smell worse. Much better on Nutrena. I thought maybe it was a fluke until the feed store was out of Nutrena one day and I bought Layena again. The coop quickly smelled again, so I went back to Nutrena.

Back
Top Bottom