What feed?

Oyster shell offers 0% protein.
It's a calcium supplement that is REQUIRED for active layers not being fed a layer mix.
Do i need the oyster shells if they are on layer feed? I have three laying hens and they always lay eggs everyday with pretty thick shells

Layer feed contains a bunch of calcium - typically 3.5 to 4% on average.

Most backyard owners want to increase our flock's protein intake (for a host of reasons) - and to avoid excess (greater than 1% calcium) intake by our roos, our chicks and adolescents, any hens in molt, and any which are not frequent layers of large+ eggs.

I have not had a chicken yet that liked any Dumor feed. Mine do like the 20% mixed flock Purina and Nutrena feeds that have been mentioned. And I currently am mixing in a bag of Kalmbach 20% Finisher that they go for like I do a bag of Cheetos.

Do i need the oyster shells if they are on layer feed? I have three laying hens and they always lay eggs everyday with pretty thick shells
If eggshell quality remains good, then you don't need it. Some birds need more calcium than others, so in the future you may need to supplement if you start seeing issues.

Back
Top Bottom