What feeder to use....

JenniferJoIN

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2007
Southern Indiana
I got a plastic, long feeder with the holes on both sides. They don't seem to like it. In fact, they seem to like it better when I pour food on the floor for them to eat. (They still have food in the feeder though)

I've looked in a couple of feedstores and haven't seen anything but these long-style feeders. What do you guys use?

How big are your chickens getting? I think mine are getting too big to use the baby chick feeders. They are nearing 5 or 6 weeks.

I was going to go with one of the larger feeders (looks like a tray with a bar over the length of it that rotates so they won't perch on it and poo in the food) so they don't have to stick their head through a small hole to get to the food.

I have the hanging feeder type that you fill from the top in the big coop. My chicken girls really like it.

In the ChickNRun small coop I used a squirrel proof bird feeder as I needed something water/weather resistent.

You may be right and mine may be getting too big for that type of feeder. They are 8 weeks old.

Arlee- do you go through the food pretty quickly or does it sit in there for a little bit?

When mine were 5 weeks old they didn't like the long feeder anymore. I kept raising it up and they wold jump up and poo on it. Then I moved them out to the run where I have a round 50 chicken hanging feeder with the divider slats at the bottom. No problems with that one.

Back
Top Bottom