What gender/age are these Ameraucana chicks?

australorp_breeder

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
California
I bought two Ameraucana chicks about a week and a half to two weeks ago at a feedstore out of town. The sign at the store said they were pullets, but I think one of them looks like it might be a male. I'm not 100% sure though. I'll post the picture of both chicks, and the second one is the one that looks like a male to me.

Acorn -

42104_dsc02316.jpg

Walnut -

42104_dsc02329.jpg

Also, can you please tell me how old they look to you? I have an idea but I would like other peoples' opinions too. When I first got them they had their shoulder, wing, and tail feathers and were just beginning to get their neck feathers. Now the only feathers left that are growing in are the ones on their backs and faces.

Last edited:
Those look just like my EE chickens, Amelia and Shirley. They love to fly up so watch out. They are wonderful but very hard to sex as they do "look" male and it looks like they have the tell tale pointy neck feathers but they end up laying beautiful eggs. They look about 6/8 weeks but it is hard to tell.

I agree it's to early to tell for sure but if I were to guess I think they look girly. My EE fooled me with her pointy neck feather's and rather upright tail feathers but she's laying eggs now. And yes, most of the feed stores sell them as Ameracauna's, I was told the same thing.

Quote:
EEs are a mixed breed that have the blue egg laying gene. They are often confused with true Ameraucanas (which have very specific breed guidelines) and sometimes for Araucanas in name only as they look nothing alike. Feed stores almost always sell EEs as Ameraucanas... in fact one of the feed stores was told that they were pronouncing it wrong by calling them Amers and it was supposed to be Aras. When I asked one of the girls how old their were she told me the story of how a lady corrected her. I told her very politely that the woman was misinformed and she was pronouncing it correctly and that they are different breeds. I didn't even get into the EE vs Ameraucana issue...

I should mention and someone correct me if I'm mistaken, I believe if an Ameraucana doesn't meet breed guidelines it would then fall under the EE category.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom