What gender are these ?

I don’t know much about it except for what I’ve read on byc, but I do know enough about yellow and white skin to know yellow x white doesn’t give you dermal sex-linked chicks. I believe @Amer and @nicalandia know more than me.

Oh yeah definitely not just white skin vs yellow skin. I was only talking about shank color, which I think involves other genes than just W. Poultry genetics is a hobby and I'd like to one day get it right, ha, so I'm just trying to understand here. I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative!

I'm going to go against the crowd and say the one with the yellow shanks is a pullet. This is assuming that one of the parents had yellow shanks and the other had slate or light shanks. It's possible for a pullet to also have light colored shanks from that pairing, but no boys should have yellow. Because of that, I'm also going to guess that the one that is the same color and pattern as the one with yellow shanks is also a pullet. Take that with a grain of salt though, as I'm no expert on the subject.
Close, but sexlinkage doesn't work like that.
Yellow is a recessive gene.
There are two mutations that effect shank color.
ww yellow skin
Id dermal inhibitor. Dermal inhibitor is sex linked.
If you cross a slate legged male W+W+id+id+ with a yellow legged female wwId- you will get white legged cockerels W+wIdid+ and slate legged pullets Wwid+-
If you cross a yellow legged male wwIdId with a slate legged female W+W+id+- you will get white legged cockerels W+wIdid+ and white legged pullets W+wId-.
As you can see, in no cross does yellow legs determine the sex. :)

ww yellow skin
If you cross a slate legged male W+W+id+id+ with a yellow legged female wwId- you will get white legged cockerels W+wIdid+ and slate legged pullets Wwid+-
If you cross a yellow legged male wwIdId with a slate legged female W+W+id+- you will get white legged cockerels W+wIdid+ and white legged pullets W+wId-.
Ah. So I was wrong about one parent having to be fibromelanistic.

ww yellow skin

I realize what I did now. I mixed up slate and yellow as outcomes somehow...they couldn't be exclusively yellow because as you said it's recessive so even if the male was heterozygous and could pass on yellow, the boys would get it too... Bah, my brain sometimes, mixing them colors. Thanks for clearing that up!

I was looking at it as if the male was W+wIdid+ and the female was wwId- resulting in W+wIdId and W+wIdid+ sons (both white flanks, right?) and W+wId- and W+w daughters (white or slate flanks?)

I realize what I did now. I mixed up slate and yellow as outcomes somehow...they couldn't be exclusively yellow because as you said it's recessive so even if the male was heterozygous and could pass on yellow, the boys would get it too... Bah, my brain sometimes, mixing them colors. Thanks for clearing that up!

I was looking at it as if the male was W+wIdid+ and the female was wwId- resulting in W+wIdId and W+wIdid+ sons (both white flanks, right?) and W+wId- and W+w daughters (white or slate flanks?)
Yeah

Yep all are boys. Just the luck of the draw. The dad is a beautiful Buff Orpington X Barred Rock cross.

If you had any girls some will be Barred, & some won't be Barred since the father carries one copy of the barring gene. If he carried 2, all offspring would be barred.
You have no idea of the parentage or that rooster....maybe don’t act like you do?

Back
Top Bottom