What gender are these ?

I'm breeding Orpingtons with a complicated color pattern that includes barring, & birds that are Wheaten Split for partridge. Yellow doesn't tell gender with this crossing. I've had females, & males with yellow shanks.

So you're saying that you've crossed a male with light shanks with a female with yellow shanks and gotten chicks of both sexes with yellow shanks? Weird. I would think that only females would have yellow shanks because of the dermal melanin inhibitor gene.

So you're saying that you've crossed a male with light shanks with a female with yellow shanks and gotten chicks of both sexes with yellow shanks? Weird. I would think that only females would have yellow shanks because of the dermal melanin inhibitor gene.
Like was mentioned by @RoostersAreAwesome
It only works if you cross a black skinned rooster with a yellow, or white skinned female to get offspring with yellow, or white skinned, males, & females with black skin.

Melanin refers to chickens that are fibromelanistic. The parents of the OP’s birds don’t have black skin, so they don’t have the genes needed for dermal sex linking.

I thought that chickens only had light shanks (the pale almost white ones) with genes for white skin and at least one copy of the dermal melanin inhibitor gene, otherwise they'd have slate. As I said though, I'm not an expert. Can you point me somewhere where I can read more into it?

I thought that chickens only had light shanks (the pale almost white ones) with genes for white skin and at least one copy of the dermal melanin inhibitor gene, otherwise they'd have slate. As I said though, I'm not an expert. Can you point me somewhere where I can read more into it?
I don’t know much about it except for what I’ve read on byc, but I do know enough about yellow and white skin to know yellow x white doesn’t give you dermal sex-linked chicks. I believe @Amer and @nicalandia know more than me.

Back
Top Bottom