What gender are these?

Jenb333

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Hello, I'm pretty new to this breed of chicken. They are several months old bantam brahma chickens. We are only allowed to have hens so we have to figure out if any are Roos and if so which ones. Can any one help us out on telling what gender they are? Thanks in advance!

Chicken A

Chicken B

(here is a group photo of all the buff brahmas)

Chicken C

Chicken D

Chicken E

Chicken F

welcome-byc.gif

So I assume that chickens A and B are bantam Dark Brahmas because if they are then they are both roosters, pullets have a different kind of feathering. :(
C- Pullet for now
D- Pullet
E- Pullet
F- I'm leaning closer to a rooster because of comb, size/redness and feathering.

Here's a good example of the differences between a Dark Brahma rooster and hen:

brahmapair.jpg

Rooster in the back, hen in front.

Last edited:
A and B could be boys but body shots help. C could be a boy. D and E are girls. F could be a boy too. This can help

a and b are boys due to their color. F is a boy as I see saddle feathers on him behind your hand in that picture and hackles coming in. I think c is also a rooster due to his uneven color on the wings

Wait a second though.. You only have four buffs?

900x900px-LL-5cb82809_IMG_0131.jpeg

They all appear to be boys except the one to the left.

I think D & E are the same pullet you just posted twice :)

Last edited:
Wait a second though.. You only have four buffs?

900x900px-LL-5cb82809_IMG_0131.jpeg

They all appear to be boys except the one to the left.

I think D & E are the same pullet you just posted twice :)
I agree. I was just noticing the same thing. D and E are the same pullet. And by the looks of it your only pullet. All the other chickens look male to me.

welcome-byc.gif

So I assume that chickens A and B are bantam Dark Brahmas because if they are then they are both roosters, pullets have a different kind of feathering. :(
C- Pullet for now
D- Pullet
E- Pullet
F- I'm leaning closer to a rooster because of comb, size/redness and feathering.

Here's a good example of the differences between a Dark Brahma rooster and hen:

brahmapair.jpg

Rooster in the back, hen in front.
I agree 100% I had a rooster with the same feather coloration.

Back
Top Bottom