What gender is my BR

lovmychicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012

I keep going back and forth with male or female (suppsed to be a she from the feed store), however she is same age as the others and they all have nice tails going. Except my BR the others are meat chicken, Brown leghorn and light brahma
sorry so many pics but she did not want to cooperate so i took a bunch that might help if she is a she or a he, dumb dumb is about 3 weeks and a few days.

Here you can barley see the dark black strips on her but that are starting her tail, under it she wouldnt let me take a pic is almost a black pointy looking thing (another tail or another layer of tail) I am new to rasing chickens.

I tried to get a pic of her comb but with in the first few days of having the 4 girls they all pecked her comb off look how flat now they are nice to her. (she is the smallest and no so brightest of my bunch)

Thank for all your help and opinions on my little dumb dumb (I really hope she is a she b/c when I first got her I used to have to hold her all the time to comfort her and she would get so loud and noisy unless I held her and the second I picked her up she would bundle in my hand and fall asleep instantly) It would be so sad to her go as we are not allowed roosters with in mesa city limits. I would love to have some roos some day.

I really do hope so she is my sweetest one, thinks she is fighting for top bird however she is probably lowest on the totum pole. The reason I picked her was because when I was picking them out her head was stuck between the bars they had her in at the feed store and her feet were up pushing against the bar try and free herself and then pop she landed on her butt. I laughed out loud and yelled she's so stupid and retarted she would fit in with my crazy family!
lau.gif

I'm sorry the little small black point tail is above the black streaks, I beileve above the butt and the little black stripes are just below the butt

It's too early for me to be sure, but I think that may be a little cockerel. There seems to be a lot of white vs black and the legs don't have a dark wash of color down the front. Post again in 4 weeks or so and we'll be able to give you a better idea.

Kind of what I thought, but was praying it wasn't so. Will for sure post more when she/he gets older.

She has the black washing on her legs like a pullet should have, cockerels are usually only yellow.
This is not a black wash... that is very light more like a roo. All BR can have some color on their legs but pullets are much darker. The leg wash is only one indicator. The wide barring is the dead give away.

LL

These are not BR but cuckoos marans you can see the difference in the barring. I have both Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans and the BARRING is what I use as my main gauge.

Back
Top Bottom