What Gender is my chicken?!? Plez Help!!!

Raynes_mom11

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
Gates
One of my Rode Island Reds hatched out this chicken about 4 months ago. It has gotten huge sence then. The only rooster I have is a Barred Rock. So I guess that means this chicken is half RIR and half Barred Rock. I thought it was a rooster but I am not sure. Also all my other hens pick on it but, the rooster really doesn't.
72868_011.jpg

It is a cockerel, because what you did was create sex-linked birds. (males are barred with slight red tingling in their feathers as shown, females are red and black)

Rooster. It's not a sex-link because you used a Barred Rock roo on a Rhode Island Red hen. If you reversed the cross, and used a RIR roo on a BR hen, then you'd get sex-links.
wink.png

Thank you everyone! I did not intend to breed them one chicken just sat on some eggs before I got to collect them. Does anyone know why the hens pick on him and not my rooster? I thought my rooster would be mean to him if it was a rooster, but he is not the hens are.

The rooster won't be mean to him until he sees him as a threat. When he is mature they will probably fight to determine who's boss. Hens just seem to be meaner to those chicks who are lower on the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom