What gender is this silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tricoglossus, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi, I am new to the forum and am just about to acquire some pullets for my backyard for the first time! I have come across this advert online for a silkie pullet for sale. The seller has described the bird as a hen, but at only 4 months old is it really possible to know for sure? The link to the advert is here http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman-park/birds/silkie-chicken-hen/1000174085
    There are lots of photos of the bird and a description. I would be very grateful if one of you knowledgeable people could take a look and tell me what you think! Thanks.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks like a pullet to me. My silkie boy was obviously a roo by 4 months, he had a big mulberry colored walnut comb. Another way to help sex silkies is to look at their crests. *Typically* hens will have nice round even crests, and roos will have a slicked back look and streamers (they're a little longer and kinda stick up everywhere making his 'do messy). Silkies are tricky, but that looks very much like a lady to me. Good luck!

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks very much for your reply! If I get her I will keep you informed!

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    It looks female, non-bearded, average quality, but cleaned up nicely. For a well handled, healthy, point of lay pullet of an ornamental breed (although, most silkies don't start to lay right at five months), $30 seems only a little high (and that depends on where you live). I used to sell pairs of the same quality for $25. It seems silkies have enjoyed a rise in popularity and therefore a rise in price, so this could very well be the going rate in your area.

5. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    My guess is pullet. Our roos all had streamers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by