What gender is this silkie?

Tricoglossus

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hi, I am new to the forum and am just about to acquire some pullets for my backyard for the first time! I have come across this advert online for a silkie pullet for sale. The seller has described the bird as a hen, but at only 4 months old is it really possible to know for sure? The link to the advert is here http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mosman-park/birds/silkie-chicken-hen/1000174085
There are lots of photos of the bird and a description. I would be very grateful if one of you knowledgeable people could take a look and tell me what you think! Thanks.

It looks like a pullet to me. My silkie boy was obviously a roo by 4 months, he had a big mulberry colored walnut comb. Another way to help sex silkies is to look at their crests. *Typically* hens will have nice round even crests, and roos will have a slicked back look and streamers (they're a little longer and kinda stick up everywhere making his 'do messy). Silkies are tricky, but that looks very much like a lady to me. Good luck!

It looks female, non-bearded, average quality, but cleaned up nicely. For a well handled, healthy, point of lay pullet of an ornamental breed (although, most silkies don't start to lay right at five months), $30 seems only a little high (and that depends on where you live). I used to sell pairs of the same quality for $25. It seems silkies have enjoyed a rise in popularity and therefore a rise in price, so this could very well be the going rate in your area.

Back
Top Bottom