What gender? (RIR, Buff Orp, Black Aussie, Barred Rock)

janice

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Hoping for hens, but i have never been around chickens before, and they're all 4 different breeds, so i can't compare to each other! These are 4-5weeks. Is it too soon to tell? Thanks so much!

RIR -
27842_rirfront.jpg

27842_rirhead.jpg

Barred Rock-
27842_barredfront.jpg

27842_barredback.jpg

Buff Orpington -
27842_buffhead.jpg

27842_bofront.jpg

Black Australorp -
27842_baside.jpg

27842_blackaussiehead.jpg

it's hard to tell (but I'm no pro) I know for my reds that are becoming more obvious roos, other than the combs being larger and redder, my hubby and I noticed shimmering tail feathers, like a roo would have. beautiful colors that a pullet just wouldn't have. take a look at the tail feathers in a good light to see if any "pretty" feathers are there. I know that wouldn't be a sure sign but could give you an idea. Oh and mine are 3 1/2 weeks old, so your's have more feathers than mine as of right now. good luck! and I am sure a pro will chime in with more informed/educated guess to help you out

I've got some mutts from a BLRW roo that are about the same age and at least 4 have wattles developing under their chin. Do any of yours have that? I found early wattles to be a good indicator, but it might depend on breed.

Thanks again for the responses.

I haven't seen any sign of wattles for any of them. Also, i may have accidentally created a misleading posture for the because I was holding something above in the air to get the RIR to stand up for the picture.

This one is also the most calm of the bunch. Loves to be held. I'll just have to wait another week or two to find out. So I'll be patient.
smile.png
Thanks again. First-timers like me really appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom