What genetics by two favorite chickens have???

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
These are my two favorite chickens, im curious what feathering genetics and patterns they have. Both of them are pure bred easter eggers.

My hen, cookie (please excuse the bare back if you can see ).
20190501_091519.jpg
20190501_091457.jpg

My rooster, big red

20190501_091237.jpg
20190501_091604.jpg
20190501_091648.jpg

Sorry if this was posted twice, couldnt remember if I posted it already or not.

By definition, EEs aren't purebred. There have been many a debate about the differences between pure blue-egg-laying breeds and the much more common Easter Egger chicken. ... On the other hand, Easter Egger (EE) chickens are not a breed at all; they are actually a hybrid or crossbred offspring from a bird that carries a blue egg gene.

The Easter Egger is not a real breed but a mixed-breed chicken that does not conform to any breed standard. However, they are a popular choice among chicken owners because they are friendly, smart, hardy, and lay well in the winter.

They lay large to extra large eggs in a variety of egg colors, including blue, green, rose, brown, sage, olive, and cream. Many hatcheries mistakenly label their Easter Eggers as Araucanas or true Ameraucanas, so beware if you are looking to show your chickens.

However, if you are simply looking for friendly and hardy chickens that lay different color eggs, Easter Eggers may be a great choice.

Consider the breed's personality and characteristics when making your choice to add to your backyard flock, but if colorful eggs are what you're after you can't go wrong with any of these blue egg layers.

The pure blue-egg-laying breeds:

The true Araucana breed originated in Chile, a combination of the Collonocas and the Quetros chicken breeds. Araucanas are rumpless (without a tail head) and often tufted, and the breed is exceptionally rare since the tufted gene causes many of the chicks to die in their shells. True Araucanas are only available through breeders, and they will always lay blue eggs.

The Ameraucana breed is a bit more common than Araucanas, as they do not have the Araucana's inherent breeding problems. Rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard. They are easy-going birds, known to be both hardy and sweet. Their eggs are always blue, and they even have blue or "slate" colored legs.

The Cream Legbar chicken originated in Great Britain, from crossing Barred Plymouth Rocks with golden Leghorns and Araucanas. These friendly birds are fabulous foragers that love to be outside and are great at avoiding predators. They are also "autosexing," meaning males and females can be differentiated with 100 percent certainty upon hatching. Legbars' eggs are always blue, but may range from a true sky blue to light turquoise or even slightly green eggs.

Thanks for the info, I know their mix already, only call them breed because its simpler to type out rathern then typing mixed breed, and I know that their easter eggers.

What id like to know about is their feather genetics, such as what colors my roo, hen may pass on, what pattern types they may pass on, and what ones they currently have. They are not show birds, im just curious about it.

Ah! Okay. I got hung up on the
Both of them are pure bred easter eggers.
Cookie doesn't look like any breed I've ever had. Big Red looks just like the big Production Reds that I get here in Panama in his body shape, posture and feather coloring. His foot coloring probably comes from an ameraucana in his mix. That would be a great combination to breed from, I'd wager. LARGE brown eggs from the 'Red' in him, and LOTS of eggs from the 'Ameraucana' genes. Not an expert on such matters, but gladly share my opinions :plbb

Ah! Okay. I got hung up on the
Cookie doesn't look like any breed I've ever had. Big Red looks just like the big Production Reds that I get here in Panama in his body shape, posture and feather coloring. His foot coloring probably comes from an ameraucana in his mix. That would be a great combination to breed from, I'd wager. LARGE brown eggs from the 'Red' in him, and LOTS of eggs from the 'Ameraucana' genes. Not an expert on such matters, but gladly share my opinions :plbb
You think so?? Has our only rooster, and is excellent. I admit cookie looks nothing like my other easter eggers, but she is supposed to be one. Im curious to know about her gold and silver coloring. I heard that hens can only have one, either gold or silver. So im curious how she seemed to get both??

Big red also doesnt normally stand like that, just happened to catch him just becore he jumped up to a higher bar.

You're gonna need to post better pics. Especially of the hen.
Pics a bit further back so we can get a clear look at the whole bird. Couple different angles may help to.

You're gonna need to post better pics. Especially of the hen.
Pics a bit further back so we can get a clear look at the whole bird. Couple different angles may help to.
Ok, ill do that then. Though their skittish around me and other people.

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but the hen looks like duckwing/wheaten heterozygote expressing the blue gene. The male is wheaten.

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but the hen looks like duckwing/wheaten heterozygote expressing the blue gene. The male is wheaten.
Heres some better pics
20190501_182901.jpg
20190501_182848.jpg
20190501_182819.jpg
20190501_182748.jpg
20190501_182722.jpg
20190501_182636.jpg

And heres one of a sample of the feather that comes closest to matching at least one feather on the rooster (the left most one)
hen3-feathers.jpg

If theres a forum explaining genetics, with pics so I could look, could someone show me??

Here is my duckwing/wheaten heterozygote. She is an Ameraucana Welsummer cross, so I know the genetics.
She looks a bit different because she does not express blue. I also believe I see mahogany on yours, just like mine.
Here is mine:
Next to a blue wheaten pullet in the second pic.
IMG_20181113_1601035_rewind.1.jpg
IMG_20181113_1559047_rewind.3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom