What Goose Breed is Right For Me?

I’m actually also leaning towards maybe getting Pilgrim geese? They are smaller in size than Toulouse and have about the same temperament as Toulouse from what I’ve read. It looks like also lay just a bit more eggs a year than Toulouse. So I’m thinking of possibly going with Pilgrims. Has anyone ever owned Pilgrim geese?
Pilgrims are wonderful!! I have a mated pair and could not be happier <3

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 7
Personally I’d rather have a nice quiet mild tempered goose, then a loud aggressive guard animal.
Right now I’ve got Cotton Patch Geese, they are even tempered and quiet. Although they can get moody around breeding time, they are far from bullies.
The African/Chinese are really jerks and extremely loud. BUT if something goes bump in the night, they have a FIT! I don’t keep them with the other birds, because they hate them. They are here for meat production until I can get my CPG flock more established. I’d vote Cotton Patch any day, but I’m very partial.

I had Embden, and Pilgrims in the past. I mostly remember how small the Pilgrims were compared to the others, but I did like them. The Embens were ganders, and I never had any problems with them.
I recently met a lady who had Poms, and she said she didn’t like the ganders as much as the Toulouse.
Do you show your Cotton Patch Geese? I've been looking for a solid year for them! Holly

I am relatively new to geese. I inherited a crippled Toulouse who is the only reason I am no longer afraid of them! WHAT a sweetheart!❤ Skully (because she looks like she's got scoliosis...I didn't name her!) is a gem!💐

I thought she was a Pilgrim at first, but when I got my first Pilgrim pair, I realized my mistake. I read about the Pilgrims gentleness and thought I'd help save the breed, but no babies 2 yet!

I also now have 7 other Toulouse... and now that Abraham & I have established who's boss (Not Abraham, though he tried numerous times to "convince" me!) I wouldn't be without them either!

I introduced 4 new, younger females to him last summer and now they've started laying and I believe I'm just going to let nature take its course. (I'll be flooded with Muscovy babies soon, so I'll just let the geese take care of business!)

Here's to you're new adventure into the goose world! 🍻

so although i have an order into metzer's, i've found two local people who will have chinese goslings in the coming weeks. i would far prefer to make a reasonable drive to pick them up than have them shipped.
the only problem is that i'd like to get two females & at least one party i've contacted only sells straight run as she doesn't know how to sex hatchlings. i've been reading up & watching videos & i think it's something i'd like to try. i know for this breed they'd need to be vent-sexed.
are there any other comparative features to look for? body carriage? position in the brood of goslings? their attraction to people? or their reluctance?
any advice, experience, photos, links, videos, would be very appreciated!

so although i have an order into metzer's, i've found two local people who will have chinese goslings in the coming weeks. i would far prefer to make a reasonable drive to pick them up than have them shipped.
the only problem is that i'd like to get two females & at least one party i've contacted only sells straight run as she doesn't know how to sex hatchlings. i've been reading up & watching videos & i think it's something i'd like to try. i know for this breed they'd need to be vent-sexed.
are there any other comparative features to look for? body carriage? position in the brood of goslings? their attraction to people? or their reluctance?
any advice, experience, photos, links, videos, would be very appreciated!
Well, in my experience, Chinese geese are very loud. However, I do notice the females are quieter than males. Chinese are also the best goose laying breed out there. You can expect probably anywhere from 40-60 eggs from a goose a year. To tell male and female apart, I started noticing differences at about 4 months old. The male started to develop a higher pitched honk, that was more ear piercing. I also noticed he was a little braver and bit my dog on the nose. At around 6 months or so (I believe), you start noticing the knob come in. The male’s knob was growing much quicker than the female, it was also larger. He also stood taller than the female and was heavier as well. They are generally very friendly with people and are great weed eaters. However, I don’t believe they are broody geese. They like to breed a lot, but don’t care to raise goslings. Correct me if I’m wrong anyone. It’s been a while since I read up on the Chinese goose, let alone owned one. Anyway, I started noticing all of the differences at about 4-6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom